Even greater service

The springs inside the ex MOD Dixon Bate pintle hitch of unknown age fitted to my Land rover failed. I emailed Dixon Bate asking where I could purchase replacements. I received a reply two days later containing an exploded diagram of the hitch and requesting I confirm which parts and send my address.

About a week later a packet arrived containing the springs with no charge!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

The one and only time I can remember that happening was in the US, when the tweeter in one of a pair of loudspeakers failed, several years after purchase. I called to order a new tweeter, they asked for the model number and my address, and like your hitch parts, it arrived at no cost to me. A very satisfied customer.

Reply to
Davey

An apocryphal story about a Rolls Royce owner whose car broke down in Switzrland. They sent an engineer to fix it and on return to England he related the story to Crewe and asked for the bill. The reply was there must be some mistake as Rolls Royce cars didn't break down so there was no bill to pay

Reply to
fred

My US robotics modem got struck by lightning. It was replaced free of charge. Apparently it was cheaper to simply take the old modem back, recycle any parts that worked and send out a new one than deal with all the paperwork.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect that's why companies do it free of charge. The parts cost pennies and are lying around anyway, so shove them in an envelope - happy customer and staff can get on with something else. If they need to generate an invoice, take a payment, blah blah it would cost them more in time than the value of the transaction. Especially if not an item they usually sell so it's not on 'the system', etc.

The opposite end of this is companies with really extensive parts supply - they warehouse every screw individually for an item made 30 years ago, but you will pay for the privilege...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That one has whiskers on it.

Reply to
phister

Correct. They fail to proceed.

Reply to
mm0fmf

And the one where a prospective customer asked how much power the engine developed.

"Sufficient".

Reply to
Bob Eager

Afew years ago the filter fitted in the nozzle of my kitchen tap, whose make I can't now remember, disintegrated. There are dozens listed on eBay and Amazon at about £1 each but I thought it would be quicker to shop locally. To my surprise B&Q didn't stock them so I went to a plumbers' merchant, where they also didn't stock them. 'Too many varieties.' I emailed the maker, who asked for a photo and address. A few days later a complete new nozzle arrived.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Don't believe that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's different to his line about taking the dead one back and ratting it for parts that can be used again.

Only the worst designs would be using unique screws.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Warehousing spares costs money. Dennis, the fire engine builder, went bust because they has so much stuff in their store,

Reply to
charles

"Adequate" was what I heard, and the Bentley Turbo "More than adequate".

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris