Estimated dormer cost?

Just wondering what the group would expect to pay for a dormer? Approx 6sqm, standard slate roofed Victorian terraced shop.

There's already a dormer on the front, if that makes any difference, i'd like one on the rear too to make better use of a room I have plans to use as an office.

Looking at the way the beams and such are it doesn't look like there'd be any chopping into anything of major significance.

Reply to
R D S

Much would depend on how the first bit was done. Usually when doing a large dormer, the ridge beam needs strengthening with a steel since you are removing a substantial amount of balancing load from one side of it. If that has already been done, then chopping out the second side is fairly easy. Even more so if the floor under it has already been upgraded for use as habitable space.

I have no idea what a builder would charge, but its sounds like a couple of weeks of DIY and perhaps £3-4k of materials depending on finish and roof etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Really? Why is everything always around 4x the price I originally guestimate?

Reply to
R D S

Perhaps John's figure includes scaffold hire. I happen to have a big "pro" tower, but most people don't.

Reply to
newshound

'Terraced'. That potentially means two party wall agreements if steels have to be inserted into both walls. Also notifiable, and no, the builder is not reponsible. Any that say they 'will handle it' should be regarded with suspician.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm not looking for something wall to wall, just 3m or so in the centre. Or less, It's not extra room that's a main concern just want to avoid feeling cooped up all day, Maybe a small barrel dormer would do, shouldn't be too expensive then.

There's a beam at the ridge and one at about waist height. I don't know a lot about these things but it looks like it would be a relatively easy job.

Reply to
R D S

One possible fly in the ointment is the amount of insulation needed to keep the BCO happy. This could reduce the ceiling height and then you could fall foul of Bregs regarding head height above staircases.:-(

I'm sure Jim has made more than one builder jump through flaming hoops to abide by these regs.

Reply to
Andrew

The rules are (or at least were) slightly relaxed for loft conversions

(although have changed since I last did one, so I won't quote chapter and verse).

So things like under roof insulation can be a little less than that required elsewhere, and height over stairs could be a little less etc.

When I did mine, 75mm of PIR was deemed adequate (50mm between rafters, and 25mm below followed by PB). In reality I did a minimum of 85mm everywhere, and 135mm on all the external walls.

Reply to
John Rumm