OT - renewables etc. in a foggy low wind day

I see that around 10% of power is coming from true renewables and not a vast amount from biomass.

So we are in the much quoted overcast winter period with little solar and little wind.

Just a context check for when people claim that renewables can carry the load.

I see that OCGT and coal are fired up as well.

So we are still some way away from zero carbon/fossil fuel.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Beware the weasel words.

We are not aimimg for "zero carbon"/fossil fuel" we are aming for "nett zero" ie still dumping vast quanties of fossil CO2 into the atmosphere but off setting that by planting a shrubbery. Onne that looks nice and not too expensive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mainly noting that if we intend to ban (new) gas boilers and petrol/diesel card by 2030 somebody needs to get their finger out with the provisioning of more base load at a minimum.

10 years isn't a long time to produce significant additional nuclear capacity and also add new technologies for energy storage from renewables.

I'm not knocking going "zero carbon", just noting that we need more than aspirations and mission statements.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I think you meant to say 10% of electricity. Last I heard electricity was 20-25% of total power consumption so 10% of electricity equates to

2-2.5% of power.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

And how is carbon offsetting being determined? In the EV station thread a figure of 100 trees per EV car was quoted (by the solar farm and car dealer owner/manager/spokesperson). Where did this figure come from - thin air? That's around 3.8 billion trees to just replace all the cars in the UK. At 2500[1] trees per hectare that's around 6% of the area of the UK. Presumably as it's carbon capture these trees should not be cut down until mature and then for no purpose that releases the carbon again so perhaps every 10 to 15 years another 6% of the UK land area is needed.

[1] Fewer trees (1600 per hectare) for a native mixed woodland that you may like to walk through rather than a dense, dark, commercial spruce planting.
Reply to
alan_m

Once again highlighting that the lack of electricity storage which is efficient is one of the main drawbacks, This feast or famine situation would be lessoned somewhat if the storage problem was licked. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thank you Brian. Do you have that on a tape loop? :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Brian is really a classic example of the 'mice in council' A cat-beller par excellence.

Yes Brian, and our energy problems would be totally solved if we licked the fusion reactor problem or the fission reactor problem by running everything on pixie dust and avian porcine droppings, and building it all out of unobtanium.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or, as my family used to say:

If we had some eggs we could have egg and chips. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If we had some chips.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

More if we had some chickens we could have egg and chips but remember to plant the potatoes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Where did the chickens come from ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The other side of the road.

Reply to
charles

Why?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

When there is no sun or wind they should open the taps in hydro power stations in Scotland, Wales and Norway. When there's excess wind and sun use it to pump the water back to the top.

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

You do need to emphasise the /sarc on that comment, otherwise some people here might get the wrong impression. Of course, greenies would think you were being perfectly serious!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Why not?

Reply to
David

As in 'why did the chicken cross the road?'

Reply to
Chris Hogg