Espag locking system

My back door has an espag locking system with claw bolts etc. During recent building work, it appears that brick dust etc. has got into this via a gap at the top of the door. This makes it hard to move it into a locking position (i.e. when the door handle is turned upwards).

I need to clean all the dust out (and probably clean and re grease the claw bolts as they look as if they were greased originally).

Is this easy to do?

Is it just a case of removing the door handle and unscrewing the main espag strip that runs along the length of the door?

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
romic

Does the mechanism move freely if you operate it with the door open?

Check it isn't binding onto/into the keeps on the frame. There may be some adjustment you can make there.

Pretty much, yes. Take the lock cylinder out too.

Reply to
RubberBiker

And give a thought to the thousands of people who but a new house where such items have been stored in poor conditions, have had dust on them and the owners don't recognise the problems - garage doors - patio doors, etc all suffer and need this sort of TLC when bought.

Reply to
John