locking bifold doors.

A 2-door bifold for a toilet door. How to lock it ? Two little bolts on each leaf - fiddly and a pain. Ideally - a nice handle that locks both leafs secure to avoid someone pushing the door and bending the centre hinges. Idea: a shoot bolt like on french doors that operates sideways, since up would foul the track. The handle would be just after the hinge on the second leaf, and shoot a bold into the other leaf (locking the doors together), and into the frame on the other side, locking the whole thing. Would this be feasible ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could make up an elegant version of a factory door locking beam. I've no idea what they're called but they work either by sliding across in slots or by swinging from vertical to horizontal into slots on the doors. If you made it with a pantograph action it would only require one action to lock.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

sm_jamieson :

Idea (good if you like a rustic effect). A beam just wider than the door, pivoted in the middle of one door near the hinge. Vertical when unlocked. To lock, swivel to the horizontal position into slots in both frames.

Alternatively, a bolt going up as you describe. I'm not sure that it would actually foul the track. If it does, consider a cranked bolt. It might be out of reach of children.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It seems that since the second leaf kind of slides into the door stop, you could have a little lip on the inside, which would lock the door on that side as long as the door was held flat. Then the lock just has to hold the door flat, so you could have a much smaller beam across a few inches at the middle. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

How about a hook and eye, like on a shed ?

You could chrome it, if you want to go for the posh look!

Reply to
Andy Cap

Could look good. I can imagine a designer version with a flat plate and a big flat "staple". Only thing to watch is the leverage if someone pushed the door in the middle, so you'd not want to make it too short. Then you push the door middle with this slider until the door is flat, then slide it across. Could connect to a "vacant / engaged" display on the other side ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think I have the answer. A handle that turns a claw that drops behind something recessed into the other leaf, like the UPVC door "claws". That way, if someone tries to push the door, there is some element of tension rather than just leverage. I wonder if there is such a lock suitable to recessing into a timber door ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ISWYM, assuming that the door opens outwards.

Reply to
Mike Barnes