emergency light

Yes, okay them. I have a smoke detector in the hall. When activated it sounds the alarm and two little lights come on. It's dead good. I can't remember the last time I changed the two 9v batteries, nipping outside now to the garage to find a cane to reach and test it......... Yes it works. It will probably start beeping now at 3am.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

yes you are correct the battery will be knackered no doubt....I'll just pull out the innards and use the case for something .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

the fitting instructions say 1992....but looks like new very old stock...waste of ?4

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It comes on when you have a power cut and/or the consumer unit is tripped.

It depends on which version has been purchased. Some models just side illuminate a piece of perspex with an fire exit logo. Other models are like bulkhead light fitting (approx 10W LED ) with an option of exit and running man stickers.

It doesn't necessarily have to indicate an emergency exit. If the stickers are not fitted it can be used as general purpose emergency lighting to, say, illuminate your stairs. Maybe a good idea to fit if someone has mobility problems so they can see what they are doing during a power cut or as I have done to also illuminate the consumer unit if the lighting has tripped.

Reply to
alan_m

I have two in the house (one in the cupboard under the stairs where the CU is, the other in the cupboard above the upstairs where the UPS and IT kit is, that's a maintained one operated by a wardrobe switch, so as as you open the door, it comes on) and one in the shed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The last one I got from CPC was switchable between maintained/non-maintained by a wire link, the LED ones are noticeably brighter than the T5(?) fluoro ones.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We have 2 "Nightsearcher" torches which can be configured in such a way as to live on their trickle chargers and come on when the power fails. One lives in the hall and the other beside my bed. When the power fails here, if there's no moonlight you quite literally cannot tell if your eyes are open or shut; or at least you couldn't until I bought the torches.

Living here without emergency lighting would be very foolish.

Reply to
Huge

Yep, very handy, keep your 1st call standby stuff there as well. Another place is above the stairs, so you don't fall down 'em, or misjudge when you are at the bottom in the pitch dark of a power cut.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bought one with the intention of using it in maintained mode in the windowless boiler/meters/CUs room. Unfortunately it's "cool white" which I hate, so have a warm white LED bulb and the emrgency light in non-maintained mode.

Are there any "warm white" LED maintained emergency lights?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A pack of 100 warm LEDs from aliexpress for £2 and an evening's de-/re- soldering?

Reply to
Andy Burns

How long do intend to stay in a windowless room in the company of the boiler, meters and consumer unit? Surely it doesn't matter in that location what the colour temperature for the light?

In real emergency a cool white may actually cut through smoke etc. better than a warmer colour temperature.

Reply to
alan_m

Is it water proof?

Reply to
ARW

em may be shower proof under a bulkhead..why?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It doesn't, the French used yellow headlights because they gave better visbility in fog/rain.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

have they not stopped that now? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Probably not because warm white LEDs are less efficient, so you need higher power to achieve the light output.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Before you get too excited, do check it works. It's probably been removed from an installation because battery has got to replace-by date, and it's cheaper to replace the whole thing than it is to get replacement batteries.

Such units can actually continue working fine, *providing* the unit hasn't been left unpowered for a long time with the battery flat.

Wire it up to charge for 24 hours, and then let it run for 3 hours. If it dies significantly before 3 hours, probably not worth using, although a couple of charge/discharge cycles might revive it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well if its non maintained, then you can use it for emergency lighting and that is about it ;-)

Close to the CU is handy should you need to reset a MCB/RCD without lights.

Reply to
John Rumm

TLC do the replacement batteries for some types...

Reply to
John Rumm

I was wondering if it could be used to make a submarine for bored hamsters.

It would make a nice change for them instead of running around in a wheel all night.

Reply to
ARW