Emergency Alarm

Is there a flurry of excitement..?

Reply to
jon_t

nothing on my nokia 1100

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

No, when I checked my 'phone it says I am on 3G and I think it only works for 4G/5G.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Silence here too

Reply to
nothanks

It worked on mine, which is 4 and 5g capable. Not sure it would have woken me if I'd been asleep but then my poor hearing can't be typical.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

my 3G phone without any SIM (emergency calls only) did nothing

my 4G phone with an inactive SIM (emergency calls only) did nothing

my 4G phone with an active SIM, did receive an alert, but didn't cut off the voice call that was in progress at the time, it wasn't excruciatingly loud

my 5G phone with alerts turned off, ignored the alert.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If its a nuclear warning, it may be too late.

Reply to
jon_t

Not a squeak out of mine (i-phone 7)! I've probably managed to have emergency alerts switched off or something. Ignorance is bliss, and aren't I lucky!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If its a nuclear bomb warning you probably don't want yo know. If it's a flood warning and you live in a flood area you would opt in to the warnings.

It's going to be used to warn you that an election i staking place and you need to vote.

Didn't the government make it illegal to hack into electronic devices?

Reply to
alan_m

The environment agency run their own flood warning system, it is a condition of my planning permission that I remain signed-up to alerts from them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Everyone I know turned them off.

Reply to
alan_m

It may just be that you're running a version of iOS that is not supported. Government advice tells you how to turn emergency alerts on for iOS 15.3 or earlier and how to do so for iOS 15.6, but advises those running iOS 15.4 or 15.5 to upgrade to iOS 15.6.

Reply to
SteveW

Phone on 3 did not receive the alert. It says it is on LTE/3g/2g so that may be the reason.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

LTE means 4G, so it ought to unless it's pre- (android 11 or iOS 14.5)?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah - Android 8.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Is it in your alert history. My android phone shows the alert text in the alert history which if it was a real alert could be quite useful especially if the alert contained contact details.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The alert was 2.5 minutes late. I was beginning to think that it would not arrive.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It was 1 minute early for me.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

We popped along to a favourite hostelry to have a beverage and a bite, and watch the fun, with some 80 or so people being present.

There was a PA warning that the test was going ahead.

The test came 1 minute early, and from the (lack of) noise I estimated that there were less than 10 phones that responded. Most people took no notice.

Reply to
Spike

over 1 minute late here

Reply to