Emergency Alarm

If its a nuclear warning, it will always be too late

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's not hacking into.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Look if you have an alert history, (such as I have.)

Reply to
Michael Chare

I happened to be at my parents' at the time. My alert arrived around 15 to 20 seconds before my father's.

Reply to
SteveW

On the Beeb this morning, they said that the people who didn't get the alert were mostly on the Three network. EE is in there somewhere, as is BT. I didn't get the alert and I'm with Smarty, which I understand is owned by Three. Three are investigating, apparently.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We dined out on Sunday and because we may still have been in the restaurant during the alert, left our phones at home. When we got back both phones displayed the alert message, we have Moto 5G on EE. As it happened we left the restaurant just before 15:00 so no idea how many phones went off.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My phone sounded twice: once at about 15:02 and then again at about 15:20. I'd acknowledged the first alert by pressing its OK button and the message had disappeared from my screen. But when I heard the noise again, I checked and there was the message.

My wife's comment: "Not a very loud sound - I was expecting a siren noise. In an emergency I think I'd have ignored the noise it made."

Reply to
NY

There’s no pleasing some folk…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I do, but it's deeply buried in the settings menus, as is how to set the notification.

Reply to
Max Demian

It worked on mine, and that is running Android 9

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok boomer.

(or should I say bummer?)

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

No, I had been warned about it and found it all rather underwhelming when it came after all the hype, it was a bit like a vehicle reversing sound.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
2 things, it was not very loud or very long. It needs to be both, I'd have thought. Its supposed to work on any phone which can play samples, ie not just a puny pre set bleaper, though the text should arrive OK. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

pre-11 it's suck it and see

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have flood alerts for the local Scout Hut. It has been used once.

Reply to
ARW

Seems like a waste. Can't you share it with the Girl Guides?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It came through on one phone here at 14.58, then on a second phone at

15:09. Not sure it would work too well as a 2 minute warning, of a nuclear attack and to take cover..
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

And what would you hide behind to protect you from a megaton nuclear blast:-)

Note the smiley.

Reply to
ARW

A concrete slab would avoid the flash burns.

This is no laughing matter, boy.

Reply to
Rod Speed

According to "Beyond the Fringe". you get into a large brown paper bag and hop round to your nearest Civil Defence Warden who will tell you exactly what you can do..

Reply to
charles