Emergency Alarm

Same here (North Hampshire)

Reply to
Mark Carver

I got the message but no sound, as it was disabled (not that I knew). If you acknowledge the message and get rid of it, it's not very obvious how you get it back to read it, but you can do so.

Reply to
Max Demian

But who would know how to access the alert history if they intemperately acknowledged it and wanted to know what it is?

Settings->Apps & notifications->[scroll down]Advanced->Emergency alerts->[scroll down]Emergency alert history. (Scroll down to set Alert preferences.)

And that's just for my Motorola E5 Play with Android 8.1.0. I expect every phone and OS type is slightly different.

Reply to
Max Demian

Software version 15.7.5. Under Emergency Alerts, Extreme and Severe are both switched on.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Never heard it. Don't think I got it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Haven't you previously mentioned you use wifi calling, due to poor mobile signal? That would likely explain not receiving it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That was the rental place. wifi calling didnt cut in today

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm. When I'm in the US, on wifi with a dual-SIM phone (US/UK), I receive their emergency signals.

A different system, I suppose.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Both SIMs on WiFi, or one still on 4G/5G? Reports of people here with dual SIM phones being 'surprised' to get it twice ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Both SIMs on wifi.

Reply to
S Viemeister

nor my MotoG31

Reply to
Andrew

I had the alert switched off (Xiaomi Redmi Note 10/Android 12/Voda) and so didn't hear it. I checked my "emergency alert history a couple of hours later" and it showed "No previous alerts".

Reply to
Jeff Layman

My Android 8 phone sound the alarm.

IME things are rarely simple ;)

Reply to
Robin

I've got two SIMs, but only received the message once (as far as I could tell)

Reply to
Mark Carver

Oh, yes, so does mine, I didn't realise I had an Alert History log until you prompted me to take a look !

Reply to
Mark Carver

So, probably not a lot of use for a four minute warning then. For something like a flood alert, probably not an issue, although people not getting it would be.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It's a shame they didn't do a full national test, before running today's full national test.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Might have been useful for the east coast floods of 1953, but surely not much use against flash floods such as Lynmouth 1952, Polperro 1976 and more recently, Boscastle 2004. They happen so fast that by the time the alarm is raised and the alert sounded, it would be too late.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I doubt any warning system would help with flash floods. They inherently happen very fast and with little warning.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

As they used to say about parachutes:

If it doesn't work, you can demand a full refund.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet