Emergancy Lighting Wiring

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me, if installing non-maintained emergency lighting (the ones the turn on when the power fails) is there any special cable requirements, or can they just be connected like normal lights (Obviously not to the switched existing lights!)

Do they have to be on the same circuit as the other lights in the room, so if that circuit failed they come on?

Do they need a test switch that cuts the power to simulate a power cut, or can one just pull a fuse/trip a breaker to test them?

Thanks!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

the ones in our theatre are just plugged into a ring main, we switch the sockets off to test them.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

connect them to the live and neutral (not switched side) in your ceiling rose with twin and earth. this means if you lose the supply then they will work automatically. I can tell you they are essential in a home where a disabled person lives (like mine). I have them fitted by the electric cupboard, bathroom and kitchen. all essential places if you have a power failure. since installing them we have had 2 power cuts where it was the electricity suppliers fault and we were the only people in our road with lighting.

Dave

Reply to
dave

If you're not using the NM-EML fittings as normal lighting, then all you need is a permanent live and neutral supply from somewhere. This method brings the lighting on only when there is a total power failure though. You can install a switch in the supply for testing if you wish, or leave the circuit controlled by its own MCB and use that.

I would advise, if you do want to fit a test switch, for you to use a secret key switch. This prevents the switch from being turned off accidentally.

Reply to
BigWallop