electronic welding visors

Hello,
I'm new to welding and trying to teach myself but find I just can't get along with the ordinary visor. I can't see where the world is, let alone the work. I've removed the lens and hold it before me like industrial lorgnettes, but sometimes I get it wrong and get a blinding flash.
It would seem that the electronic visors, which darken in a fraction of a second, would be ideal so I wonder if anyone here uses one and can confirm how good they are --or not, as the case may be?
Being on a small fixed income, pennies have to be pinched where it's reasonable to do so. WeldUK have a visor for about 50, Screwfix have one for 100. Does anyone know anything about either of these? I'd prefer the cheaper one for obvious reasons.
Many thanks
Brian Mitchell
brian mitchell wrote:

Nit used them but I should imagine as all have to pass some sort of British standard the function should be the same
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Used one a few years ago. It was good and did what it said. Don't think it was a very expensive one - it was chucked in as part of a MIG deal.
Cheers
Tim
brian mitchell wrote:

I bought one on ebay for about 20-30 recently, it's brilliant!

I also bought one a few months back for approx 15, again off Fleabay, but it came from the USA. It was brand new, on auction, and it went for 3 with 12 p&p ..... it took 4 days to get here in UK. They are really good. The darkness is adjustable as is the 'sensitivity'. They really help so you can see the item to be welded while keeping both hands on the torch. Also, they are solar powered and powered off the flash of the welding. Very well recommended. Just checked and they are still on there (Ebay). Brad
brian mitchell wrote:

An age-old problem. Shine a bright light on the work piece. (a 250w quartz portable floodlight) That'll help a lot.

I have a cheap self darkening one and it's fine. The bright light is also a very good idea, but you have to be a bit careful with positioning otherwise it darkens the screen half a second before you make contact!

Only a mediocre welder but IMHO essential. More so when starting out.
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

I bought a cheap one from WeldUK. No problems.
Don't forget to peel off the plastic cover.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember brian mitchell

I bought a cheap-ish one a couple of years ago and it's been ok so far. It's not had much use, to be honest, but it still works fine. It's utterly brilliant compared to the old way and I'd buy another cheapy one like a shot - no point in paying hundreds if a cheap one will work safely and for long enough, especially for occasional use.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a