Electronic stud/cable finder - budget

Anyone recommend a budget stud/electric cable finder?

My Draper one from the shed isn't working because the battery ate the connector and I don't have time to solder on a new one at the moment.

Looking in the £10-£20 range.

Putting a couple of screws in the wall should be simple, right?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Surely that would take less time than getting a new one! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

A cheap stud finder is a magnet - use it to find the plasterboard fixings...

Reply to
John Rumm

Cut the rotten connector off, hold the wires on the battery. Get new connec tor or clean old one.

I've got one I made long ago, cost was a hex invertor & a few small passive s, so under £1

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes just strip the top off the old battery from a smoke alarm and solder that on, making sure its not backwards of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not in my experience.

And I wouldn't be surprised to find a repair taking an hour, once all the issues of modifying the case and/or battery cover to provide suitable clearance are sorted. I'd go down David's route myself at that price level.

(Having just thrown away a box full of broken electronic gadgets that I'd had for years in case they contained something that might be worth salvaging)

Reply to
newshound

Now scrapped it because I dug out a connector and some crimps but when I started stripping back the wires the metal cores were rotten - presumably because the battery contents had wicked up inside the wire.

Never mind, when I was looking for the crimps I found another (Lidl) meter which I had forgotten I had. I think I bought it for the wireless room measurement.

Now trying to work out why there appears to be so much wiring where I want to put the screws in.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Why are those PP3 battery connectors always so delicate?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)