Electronic stud/cable finder - budget

Anyone recommend a budget stud/electric cable finder?
My Draper one from the shed isn't working because the battery ate the connector and I don't have time to solder on a new one at the moment.
Looking in the £10-£20 range.
Putting a couple of screws in the wall should be simple, right?
Cheers
Dave R

Surely that would take less time than getting a new one! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

Yes just strip the top off the old battery from a smoke alarm and solder that on, making sure its not backwards of course. Brian
--
----- -
On 27/03/2018 16:48, Chris Green wrote:

Not in my experience.
And I wouldn't be surprised to find a repair taking an hour, once all the issues of modifying the case and/or battery cover to provide suitable clearance are sorted. I'd go down David's route myself at that price level.
(Having just thrown away a box full of broken electronic gadgets that I'd had for years in case they contained something that might be worth salvaging)

Why are those PP3 battery connectors always so delicate?
--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

On 27/03/2018 15:46, David wrote:

A cheap stud finder is a magnet - use it to find the plasterboard fixings...
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 15:46:37 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

Cut the rotten connector off, hold the wires on the battery. Get new connec tor or clean old one.
I've got one I made long ago, cost was a hex invertor & a few small passive s, so under £1
NT
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:46:32 +0000, David wrote:

Now scrapped it because I dug out a connector and some crimps but when I started stripping back the wires the metal cores were rotten - presumably because the battery contents had wicked up inside the wire.
Never mind, when I was looking for the crimps I found another (Lidl) meter which I had forgotten I had. I think I bought it for the wireless room measurement.
Now trying to work out why there appears to be so much wiring where I want to put the screws in.
Cheers
Dave R