Electrical Safety Council Report on cheap plug-in chargers

The hazards associated with cheap chargers - I don't have that much faith in expensive ones either!

The Other Mike

Good site!

Compact fluorescents exposed:

Phil

was not impressed with this. I probably don't remember all the reasons now (this was a year or more ago), but some which spring to mind:

A sample of 1 each of 6 different lamps is far too few to be meaningful. Their broken cathode test demonstrates a misunderstanding about the mechanism which causes cathode overheating in a fluorescent tube, and thus the test is not testing the right thing. Switched mode PSU's are much more liable to nasty overheating effects from under-voltage running (which they didn't test) than from over- voltage running (which they did run).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and they didnt find any genuine safety issue.

NT

Reply to
NT

,

and I wouldn't really expect them to even if they did the test properly, but that's not an excuse not to do the tests properly.

I've seen far more safety issues with filament lamps causing overheating than I have with CFLs (none).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel