Electrical, but needs painting!

I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not do that?

Reply to
michael newport

Yes if they are the feed to the meter rather than the feed from the house to an outbuilding or something they are the supply companies responsibility. Not sure on if you are allowed to cover them but are the electricity company even going to notice?

Reply to
Zephirum

Well you just deny it was you when they ask. As long as they are in good condition and not damaged by your work I don't really see any issue. Lets hope they are in good condition or else we might not hear from you again! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

thanks for comments. The phase cables are insulated individually (for sure), but I thought to use pipe lagging (that split gray stuff) to cover each core as an extra safety measure. It's a very good insulator and easy to fix + use rubber gloves etc.

Re the free service - yes you are correct, such should exist but in practice i found out they charge. I had a mains isolator fitted (pre CU) and was told by the Elec Co it was a free service by their contractor. In the event, the free was £60 (just fyi)

Reply to
michael newport

Free when I had new soffits fitted.

Reply to