electric under-tile heating - off-peak tariff D RCD and thermostat problems

Only have electric heating in my house which is about 40 years old. Night storage heaters upstairs. Underfloor heating downstairs. Wires buried in concrete screed about 6 inches down. Thermostats for each room - bimetallic strip type ? We kept to Manweb off-peak tariff D when we bought the house 20 years ago. Seperate meter and supply to heating circuits. Power from 1 am to 8 am and one hour in the afternoon.

Tiles in kitchen cracking up. We had them replaced. Screed underneath in poor condition. We ripped it out along with wiring. New screed and under tile heating arranged by kitchen installer. Can't run the system on off-peak electricity as the time clock/thermostat/controller chip requires power all the time and I think the same holds for the RCD. The controller only has one set of input terminals so we cannot powere the clock/chip from a 24 hour supply and use it to control an off peak heatig circuit.

Is there any way to run the under tile heating on the off-peak ? The concrete floor is not insulated and may thus have some heat storage. Should we go Economy-7 and put time clocks on all the heaters ?

Reply to
Fred

You could have the controller operate a contactor (relay) which switches the heating on the Economy-7 circuit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

you must feel like a right chump. Sorry :)

no

Simple, dont use the unfit controller thats now fitted to it. Other option is to add backup battery, but that means a bit of electronics, which you may or may not have the skill for.

ouch!

its half the price.

NT

Reply to