Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

Anyone convinced?

Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

Engineers explore using gentle slopes rather than steep dams or mountains to store electricity

RheEnergise is bringing innovation to pumped hydro storage. We call our new solution High-Density Hydro ?.

HD Hydro ? uses our proprietary HD Fluid R-19 ?, which has 2.5x the density of water. R-19 gives RheEnergise projects 2.5x the power and 2.5x the energy when compared to water.

I wonder what their proprietary HD Fluid R-19 ? actually is?

They claim: Our innovative fluid R-19 TM is environmentally benign and has been engineered to be non-reactive and non-corrosive.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I expect they say its because of PE = m.g.h

where PE is Potential energy = mass x value of gravity x hieght.

So by increasing the mass by 2.5x, you then get 2.5 x the PE.

But you've had to expend 2.5 the amount of power to get it up hill first.

Reply to
charles

I don't know, but Google's best effort is that it is "a full-matte coverage that is smudge-proof, long-lasting and light on the skin"

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Snake oil. You would need to manufacture and handle it in enormous quantities to store enough energy to be worthwhile. Liquid bromine is the first thing that springs to mind with about that density. But it doesn't match the non-reactive/non-corrosive tags.

Gallium would be even better nearly 6x the denisty of water and melts at about 40C. Relatively benign otherwise.

R-19 TM is an odd choice of name for a eco bollocks product.

It signifies hazardous risk of forming organic peroxides in chemistry.

Martin Brown

If you're using it as an energy storage system, why does that matter?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Barium sulphate is used as a component of drilling mud because it has a density 4.5x that of water. Mud ponds are something the oil industry already knows how to deal with, although they aren't pretty. Drilling muds overall go up to about 2.4x

It sounds a bit like the oil industry is in decline they're looking for a new market for their existing product. Pumping drilling mud is something they already do at scale.

Although it's really hard to compete with 'free' water. I wonder how big a tank you would need for a decent sized battery at average UK hilliness?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Dunno but barium salts are commonly used to increase the density of drilling mud.

Can?t imagine that suspended particles would do a turbine any good though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Looks like milkshake

Andy Burns

but as well as getting 2.5x out, you have to put 2.5x in, plus you have to deal with losses from pumping a more viscous fluid.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Art students don't Do Sums.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's proposed as a battery; no batteries are 100% efficient. Dinorwig is similar (albeit using water) and has been in use for many years.

Reply to
nothanks

Go the whole hog and use Mercury.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Trouble with that is they appear to be claiming same sort of capacity despite lower height AND gentler slope AND (from the diagram) smaller volume. They can only get the advantage of higher density once but their claims appear to require them to do so three or four times over.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Yeah! Specific gravity 13.6!

Reply to
Max Demian

and you'd need one at both ends

Reply to
charles

How big is the lake at the top of Dinorwig?

The question of the gentleness of the slope is only relevent in that you might need more land to contain the system, and perhaps it affects efficiency. What counts is the *head*.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is it some sort of silly season ?

Apparently we're "only" 2 years from flying cars in 2023.

tinyurl.com/yx8tugnx

Reply to
Jethro_uk

+1 to all that. Wiki on drilling fluids here.
idea of using it to store significant amounts of energy, as in Pumped Storage, Dinorwig etc is complete bollocks of course.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ah, this old chestnut. See:

which I read about when I was a small boy, probably in the Eagle Annual. Where I also read about how there'd be gyrocopters flying from airports to city centres for passengers by 1960.

Reply to
Tim Streater