electric sliding gate

I need one. Contacted six local suppliers. One came out top have a look but now ignores my emails and calls. The job would be easy and straightforward.

Does anyone know of a supplier/installer not too far from S Yorks?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wonder why!

Reply to
Chris Green

No doubt all run by BBC employees or foreigners. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There you go. Install your own. This is a DIY forum.

Reply to
harry

Bill Wright wrote on 21/02/2017 :

Maybe the job is too difficult for them/ they can't be bothered with the distance/ they have too much work already to be interested.

Beginning in mid December, I tried to get a carpet laid in my hall, stair and landing. The first looked, agreed a price, but was busy would I ring in mid Jan? Repeated calls and no progress, moved onto a second, then a third all let me down and I ended up doing it myself.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I get very frustrated, tradesmen come out review a job, then never send a quote, disappearing forever. Why waste time looking at a job then not following up?

Reply to
Broadback

Things are going to be so much better when we don't have all those immigrant workers taking jobs, eh?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the words of Kenneth Boulding, the late Quaker economist: ?Anyone who believes in indefinite growth of anything physical on a physically finite planet is either a madman or an economist.?

Reply to
Andy Cap

It5's not just you and Bill. The plumber I contacted in November for a new bathroom has failed to even quote after looking at the very simple job.

Reply to
Capitol

Dave's definitely not an economist!

Reply to
Capitol

For small jobs, I'll normally make it clear on first contact that I am not looking for multiple quotes. I'll say "give me an estimate and I will say yes or no on the spot, and not hold you to a fixed price if you hit problems". I'll see what I think of the firm when they turn up (having also looked for local recommendations). If I think they are not up to the job, I'll probably say I was looking for a better price rather than say that.

Quoting time has to be paid for somehow, I will do everything possible to make things easy, especially for small firms.

You can often describe a job well enough over the phone to give the firm a very good idea of what's involved.

Reply to
newshound