Sliding garden gate

One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre, and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

JFGI. Plenty of options.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need wheels on the bottom of the gate and a track, or at least a level surface, for them to run on. On the side the gate retracts towards, you need a fixed guide for the top of the gate, preferably also wheeled, and you need a stop post for the gate to close against.

If it is to opened manually, these can all be fairly simple.

To motorise it, the bottom rail should provide a positive guide (an inverted T shape with V grooved rollers on the gate will be easiest to keep clear of bits that may stop it), a rack mounted on the gate and a motor driving a gear wheel against the rack, with stop switches for both ends of the movement. Safety switches are also recommended; you can put a light beam across that will stop the gate closing if anything is in the way or an edge detector that will reverse the action by a few inches if the gate hits anything. Flashing yellow lights are optional.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Hi Sliding gates are pretty common in industry and we have some that slide over single track railway lines. Things you have to consider are construction of gate (wood steel plastic etc) size of opening and operational use. The gate can be a balanced unit which does not require any support (railway line type) or a supported unit. The prior has a longer gate than the gap with counter weight built in and is supported by a framework with 2 oblong frames which support the gate as it travels using rollers at the top bottom and sides. The latter can run on a track in the ground or have a leading edge jockey wheel to support the gate. If you choose to automate the gate be aware of the latest BS regs as since the nasty accidents recently arising from badly setup electric gates the onus now falls equally on the installer and operator if someone is injured. If you need more info let me know. HTH CJ

One disadvantage in going to my daughter's for the evening is being asked all sorts of DIY questions by my S-i-L.

I can see where he is coming from on this one, but I'm not sure how to implement it. The garage is set back from the house by about a metre, and the house and the garage walls are so aligned that a sliding gate along the house wall seems an obvious solution. But I've never seen such a set up and wondered what would be the solution.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Rob

Reply to
CJ

I've seen it done using normal slide rails such as

(The sort you get on 19" server racks but stainless steel). It worked well but people tended to pull and push it before sliding it (despite a big "SLIDE" sign) so got bent a few times.

Reply to
Peter Parry