Small sliding gate - plans, ideas, readymade?

Hi,

I need to put a small 48" high fence gate across a narrow (30 inches or so) opening. It is between my house and separate garage.

The opening is so narrow, that I can't narrow it further with hinge and latch posts.

Can anyone think of a small gate kit (either wooden, iron, PVC, or aluminum) on the market?

Or I can build one. Any thoughts on making it roll? Should I keep it within a frame?

Reply to
bryan

Exspandable baby gate. WW

Reply to
WW

Ready made sounds unlikely so your material is probably going to be wood.

It's going to be difficult unless you can find some rolling gate hardware that's small enough.

I'd say use pocket door hardware but it would fall off the track a lot.

I'd look at closet door rollers and a pocket door/gate if I couldn't find small rolling gate hardware. Do a Google search if no one comes up with a better idea.

I'm trying to picture it and why is there a gate between the house and garage and why does it need a gate? Can't you just shut the door? I'm guessing a small child is involved. :-)

od

Reply to
olddog

I used a gate like that for a long time but I was always tempted to step over it and almost break my neck. That's why I put in a gate in my backyard between my patio and pool.

They get real annoying in places with high traffic.

od

Reply to
olddog

W/O able to observe the target location, I'd venture one or two okay three choices--mount the hanging post at the corner outside the opening so doesn't intrude into the open area. Alternative one would be to simply hang on the house/garage so will swing back against the wall w/

180-deg hinges. Lastly would be the idea of sliding -- presuming there's not an opening for it go go into, that would take a barn rail or similar on one or other wall, probably far more obtrusive than the other alternatives.

Picture posted somewhere could undoubtedly help w/ more concrete suggestions.

Reply to
dpb

I was an expandable baby. I'm over 200 pounds now.

Reply to
mm

Are you saying the gate has to be in the middle of the passage and not at an open end?

What kind of gate do you want to use? And how thick is it? You'll have to give up an amount of passage width as much as the thickness of the gate. At least an inch right.

So you can mount some wood that is an inch thick and put the hinge on that, so that the gate goes from an L relationship to the wood to an I relationship when the gate is opened, and the whole thing is no thicker than the gate part is.

I dealt with hinges above.

Latch posts? The standard black iron gate latch (with the black iron gate handle) is desgned to screw on from the front or the side. You can screw it right to the garage or house, or you can make your own latch that is even narrower. Or you can use the kind that has a little hole in the fence with a string running through it that pulls up the latch.

You can attach everthing to the garage wall especially, which probably isn't finished on the inside. If you need strength, you can back up the wall on the inside with a 2x4 or something.

Or you can get --- don't know the name --- the kinds of hings that have a big iron eye that screws into the wall, 2 of them, and two L-shaped pieces, where the long side mounts to the gate and the short ends go down into the open eyes. The metal rod that makes the eyes and hooks is usually a half to 3/8" inch in diameter I think.

If you did this right, you would still lose the thickness of the gate** when the gate was open, but when looked at from side A, assuming the gate opened in the direction of side B, you might not need to see any hinge or anything other than the gate at all. The L piece would be on the back of the gate, mounted a half inch back, to allow room for half of the eye. Again you'd back up the garage wall on the back with a twox4 to hold eyes which hold the weight of the gate.

**The gate plus the hinge at one end, just the gate at the other end. .
Reply to
mm

How sturdy does it need to be - keep pets or small child in yard? I can imagine rigging something on the order of snow fence but using nylon cord (or even flexible poly tubing). Small pvc pickets with poly coated steel threaded through?

Reply to
norminn

Go up, my friend, go up!

Build yourself a counter-weight system like they used to use on the old freight elevators.

Use some PVC pipe to conceal the weights and chains.

Raise the gate to go through, pull it back down to close.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We are all just guessing- post some pictures somewhere, including yardsticks in the pictures in the appropriate spots, and we can make some useful suggestions. At least one well-lit picture from each approach to the opening, showing what the structure is on both sides.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

  1. Attach wooden frame to fence way back from fence opening.
  2. Attach gate to this wooden frame, thus:

  1. Result is a gate wider than the opening.
Reply to
HeyBub

That sort of solution presents many opportunities for dressing up the entrance. You could put lattice between the existing and new posts (Bub wrote frame, but I'm assuming he meant posts), and build an arbor over it. That sort of thing provides a big bang for your buck/time.

RicodJour