Electric Shedi needed

I was in a pub argument (as usual) and a retired sparks stated that new regulations allow 13A sockets in bathrooms provided they are a certain distance from the bath/shower. Surely this cannot be?

Reply to
Jim S

Indeed it can...

However don't get too excited. The distances involved mean that most real world bathrooms are way too small.

John Rumm

Blimey, one would have thought that with the mood of today, any system should involve a huge air dryer be triggered to dry the person as they walk anywhere near a socket which has no shrouded and waterproofed design.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In Australia almost all modern bathrooms have ordinary 240 volt outlets in them, just a certain distance from water receptacles, And very few deaths are recorded.

Reply to
F Murtz

Same as the wife's mothers house en France, sockets and not shaver ones right next to the bath and of course no one uses 'em;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In the case of my bathroom, about 300mm from the basin. But the safety issues change markedly now that RCD protection is the norm.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've got that beat...

We've got a fusebox in one of our bathrooms, above the non-tap end of the bath (which also has a shower head fitted). It's not a bathroom that we use, for that very reason, but it's interesting that previous owners thought it was a good idea :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

would this be allowed or not then?

Gazz

Pah! I'll see your charlesandhudson and raise you this:

Nick Odell

Beijing.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I was doing a plumbing repair in a bloke's house, in a bathroom that had been converted from a small front bedroom. Right next to the bog pan was a 230V socket... plugged into that was a heated toilet seat. Said he'd bought it in S.Africa years ago. I left him to it. I wonder if he's still alive.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon