electric garage shutter gubbed

OK who was the smart arse who said electric garage shutters were great...after about a year mine has broken down....went up about two feet then reversed and shut.....tried it again went up about two inches then went back down...is this a common fault ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

What's the install warranty like on this puppy ?

That's part of the garage door experience, is getting the twit back who installed it, to fix it right.

The thing has sensors. Like sensing when the motor is drawing too much current, then reversing the direction of motion to relieve the pressure. That's so if someone gets stuck or pinned by the device, it automatically does the right thing.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

phoned him and he is coming out soon...no idea about warranty but knowing my luck I will be one day over it.....I can understand it reversing when it is coming down but going up ? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ... laid this down on his screen :

Sounds like it is finding an obstruction or tightness, or if not - it is simply has the current sensor set too sensitive.

Is that door your only way in?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

no I put in a SCFD to the utility room years ago ........thank god because the box with the winder is on the outside

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The wording here isn't too concerned with direction.

And apparently, the "thing" that's doing that to your door, is adjustable. The sensitivity can be adjusted.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Where the burglars can get at it?

Reply to
F Murtz

Seen on TV consumer progs that the common ones (Crocodile?) are rubbish. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

WD40 is junk. Buy a can of spray grease from a motor factor.

Reply to
Andrew

Lockdown ?. 30 degrees centigrade in Glasgow ? ...

Reply to
Andrew

The Crocodile doors are just a standard roller door, sold by many other suppliers. Difference is, they charge a premium for supply and fit. The door they supply is exactly the same has my door, which I sourced direct from the factory and fitted myself - bet I paid one third the cost of Crocodile's door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

WD40 is absolutely fine for this job, grease will attract dirt and grit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Have you checked the tracks are clean ? A spray with some lubricant may not be a bad idea. I assume it wasn?t used much during the lockdown, it may well have gummed up. A bit of lube and a few manual open / close cycles may help.

(I assume you have a handle to wind it open by hand.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated the question :

Mine doesn't have one, so I don't know what it is. My door has a sort of series of nylon chain links, drive the chain over centre and it forms the locking mechanism - try to lift the door and you would be pushing against the over centre 'chain'.

The drive motor is a 24v ac tubular motor and gearbox, that includes meachanical limit switches, for for going up, one for going doing and they are very precise.

The control system includes a maximum run timer and a maximum current sensor - this last is what your problem is, it is set too low.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :

Jim - It is pretty much the same as my door, except my door is inside yours on the outside. Even the manual winder is on the same end of the mechanism - the left looking at the roll and the motor is on the left.

My best guess is that it was sticking in the tracks, drawing too much current, so the controller shut it down to prevent damage. The current limit might be adjustable, maybe set too low - ask your guy when he turns up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in news:RP0QG.517460 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.am:

Clean tracks and oil on the spring.

I have found that the rollers in the tracks start to skid and then get flats on them. They would be better with rubber tires!

Reply to
JohnP

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote in news:reqfvf$s5d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

But this could lead to the motor burning out. Check everthing mechanical first. Not familiar with roller shutter - but presumably they have some sort of spring counterbalance - is this set properly would be my second question after checking the runners.

Reply to
JohnP

JohnP formulated on Thursday :

No springs involved at all.

There are no rollers in the tracks either. The ends of the alloy slats, have a nylon block fixed to every second slat, which keeps the slats centralised in the guide channel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You would have to compare the noise level, to what it sounded like when it was new. I thought I could hear something there that sounds loose, around the part that does the winding. But maybe it was always like that.

As for the choice of track lubricant, I'd see if I could find the manufacturer manuals and docs, for suggestions.

The track itself probably needs to be "cleaned" rather than "lubricated". There could be sand in the track for example.

The little wheels it glides on, could be grease-packed. Spraying WD40 on those little wheels, the WD40 is a "lube robber" and it can help remove manufacturer grease from where it's needed. That's why I don't spray WD40 around like a room freshener here. It can do more damage than good, depending on what you point it at.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote in news:reqhqj$79n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I hadne;t appreciated it was a shutter door.

Reply to
JohnP