External shutter ideas?

Hi, I am in NW Scotland so in the winter there is not much daylight. Short of cutting some Kingspan to size and slotting it into the window openings each evening to save heat, are there any nifty heat saving shutter ideas?

Reply to
misterroy

If you want to prevent heat going out, it's better to put covers on the inside. External shutters won't help much unless they're airtight against the window. Some thick curtains or maybe cellular/honeycomb blinds would seem to be easier than wooden shutters, although you can do that:

(I'm sure it's possible to DIY something similar, maybe using more insulating materials than wood)

If you want to reduce overheating from solar gain, it's better to put shutters outside.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

no

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

A sheet of cling film on the inside frame.

Reply to
jon

Thick curtains, lined and thermally interlined, preferably extending to floor level, make a massive difference.

Yes, but thermal curtains do a very fair job as well. Its all about the seal between the room and the air gap between the window and the curtain

On a day like today, that airgap gets up to 40°C, but the inside of the curtain is at 25°C

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher