Electric cars.

How much heat does the average car heater give out on full? How much insulation do you have on a weight saving electric design? When will you think these things through rather than blindly accepting wild claims in ads?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ever wondered why even the most expensive cars still use lead acid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Explain how a high torque motor gets away with a small diff? Add gearing to reduce the torque? What ever happened to your gearless car...

We can certainly expect much more drivel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course not. You run the air conditioning to keep those hot electric motors cool...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, not directly.

You reduce those by staying at home more. Or dying .

However it should reduce the fuel wasted in sitting in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh. Lets go over the figures again.

The battery capacities I am quoting are essentially to the acceptable level of discharge. Although its not great to go to the absolute limit, lithium ion batteries ae pretty good up to the last 10% of useable discharge - then the volts drop rather fast, and you are into areas where one or more cells in a multi-cell pack may be dameged if you go fiurther. I envisage modular packs each with sensor on that would warn of this, and possibly take sections of the pack out of service, rediceing power but allowing a 'carwl home' mode.

Me too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The point is, theres nothing to choose between them until you end up with nio fossil fuel, when te electric has a huge advantage efficiency wise,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because its cheap and good enough. To staert the engine.

Ever wondered why the most exoensive cars are still made of steel, when a real performance car is made of alumnium, titanium, and carbon fibre,.

Yup. Yuu guessed it BECAUSE ITS CHEAP, AND GOOD ENOUGH.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same aplies to any car. You don;t need more than 500w or so to heat a car.

Heating it for an hour is thes ame fuel used as travelling two miles.

Why not?

At least you have that partly right. There is no overall cost benefit to the user at this point, because the cost saved in diesel tax is used up in the capital cost of batteries.

But you obviously didn't want to read what I write carefully, merely offer snide comments.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They aren't that heavy. I am not decided as to whether they are better or worse.

To an extend its possible to integrate them with the wheel rims. IN a typical multipole 3 phase motor the magnets are arranged inside a drum whilst the stator comprises a bunch of interlinked coils. The chief weight is the magnets on the rim, and the actual ironwork of the stator.

This is a simple arrangement..and easily allows one motor per wheel which provides excellent traction..whether or not a more complce and heavy system with a centrally mounted motor and shafts and maybe a reduction gear - probably more efficient in terms of the motor - is worth the added weight and complexity - is a moot point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I'll amswer what Drivel can't.

At say 250Wh per mile and an average speed of 60miles an hour, the actual power input is 15KW. Or 20bhp. Which sounds about right.At 90% efficiency you are losing 1.5KW. More than enough to heat the car IF you could get the heat from the motors to the car interior.

Its possible to wind the motirs not with wire, but with small bore copper tube and pass coolant thriugh them, but its complex and makes the motors larger and higher resistance (less efficient).

So its feasiable, but I don;t think its necessarily practicable. I think it might increase the motor losses anway - its probably better to simply take an electrical heat pump and use it to heat or cool the interior depending on whether ambient is above or below desired heat levels.

Becasue motor heat output is not that huge, and falls away to nowt at 'idle'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

200watt hours per mile is 100KWH. for 500 miles. Yup. That makes my 50Kwh battery about right for 1-200 miles range..Oh well ...sorry for that mistake, but anyway its in the ballpartk, I thought the battery came out a bit light.

That is , in this case, simply not true.

That is only true in mature technologies domianated by energy costs. This is not true of lithium batteries. The materialsl - lithium salts - are not especially energy intensive to make - no more so thatn the steel that car bodies are made from, or the aluminium the engines are made from.

The batteries are expensive because mass production techniques have not been applied to them: They are currently moderate vloume items with large investments in R & D and factory tooling to pay back.

Its not. You are starying from a conclusion and using false data to rationalise facts which are untrue.

Those batteries could cost no more than a typical engine to produce. In dollars or in energy.

It won't be for that much longer - and anyway this particular thread is not about fuel efficiency of electrical cars per se, Its about practicality of them. I already showed that theyt are in fuel terms similar to a diesel overall if diesel is what you burn at the power station. That is not where I am coming from.

I see them as part of a move towards the main unit of energy being not the barrel of oil, but the kiolowatt hour. The replacement of fossil fuel as both prime energy AND storage medium, to nuclear or renewable being the prime energy, and batteries the storage.

To use synthetic hydrogen in fuel cells, or synthetic hydrocarbons in heat engines, generated from electricity...would be way more inefficient than using batteries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Again drivel is probably randomly correct in this instance.

A pack of 40 liter duracells would neither get you the power nor the range of the Lithium cells.

Anyway, ou will be able to judge for yourselves, The first power tools wioth Li-Ion batteries are due to hit the shops about now.

Thats the first consumer 'power' application apart from RC aircraft to actually use them in anger...prices should be a LOT better once you guys have all bought them.

Mobile phones and laptops have had them for a few years now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, like my Enfield 8000 electric 'Moke' you mean?

And the 'small electric motor' in there is about 18" long (about the same as the 1300 in my kit car) about 12" diameter (similar width..) and far too heavy to lift. Oh, and propells the Moke to 30 mph for 20 miles on 1/2 tonne of semi traction batteries.

Oh and it's freezing in the winter ... ;-(

All the best ..

Timmy (EV owner / driver for nearly 20 years) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

You missed out a third; most people really don't care.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Oh a quiz. Richard Cranium does like to have fun.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, they use them tio make the car go?

** snip senile ramblings **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard is into quizzes again.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, do you drive Lord Halls car?

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard thinks the battery propels the car. He does.

Steel is not good enough. It is heavy. When energy becomes more expensive steel will be dropped.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel