Educational standards really have dropped

Reminds me of when our MP offered to show me the House of Commons Muriel.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You already have my comments Adam.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The only way to reduce essential tremor is to drink alcohol. That's the advice from my GP.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Was it picturesquare ?

Reply to
Sysadmin

Worked for Bill Werbenick, though I think he died pretty early?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Like all advice, it should be taken in moderation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

That is no worse than I saw from trainees I was employing 40 years ago. One of them now runs his own business.

He made it large for emphasis.

Reply to
nightjar

Perhaps it was written by a doctor?

One thing that worries me is that many people still seem to write in block caps not real joined up writing. This makes these AI programs what claim to be able to read handwriting get extremely confused.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No he meant Fred cocopops obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes I've had that one it was even more amusing as my Mother, who was with me at the time was a Muriel. She said where am I on it then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

as someone with messy writing I personally fail to see the relationship between potential educational attainment and calligraphic skills

Reply to
tim...

can't comment upon this particular form, but I am frequently given forms to fill in where I cannot legibly write small enough to fit in the supplied box

OTOH, my best friend at school could write at about "4 point" perfectly legibly

Reply to
tim...

tim... explained on 23/10/2021 :

I know someone like that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Can I ask what the timesheet is used for? Does someone have to decipher that scrawl and enter it into a time management system - perhaps for paying overtime, or charging customers? If so, handing that in is a bit of an insult really.

Or, does someone just glance at it for a second, then throw it in the bin?

Does the apprentice know what is done with that bit of paper?

Also, how are the other hours figures worked out? The start and end times are much the same each day, yet the hours worked vary from 8 to 9.5.

Reply to
GB

I certainly taught pupils who had difficulty even holding a pen / pencil due to disabilities but were perfectly able academically.

I spent many a lunchtime / time after school working with them practicing using a pair of compasses etc so they could attempt and understand geometry and constructions.

They used keyboards in most other lessons but in mathematics, you can?t beat a pen/ pencil etc some of the time.

Reply to
Brian

Fibonacci is an interesting sequence, usually defined as a recurrence relation, naively leading to a doubly recursive function in computer programming (terrible preformance). Knowing how to avoid/mitigate the problem is an interesting test, there at least 4 very sensible and completely different ways.

Reply to
Pancho

Yeah, I always had a complete inability to write neatly or fast.

As a young adult I noticed my son wrote very legibly, which surprised me because as a youngster he had the same problems as me, with the added problem that he was cack-handed. He told me that as a teenager he had figured he would never be able to write joined up, once he gave up trying and used non cursive, print writing, his legibility improved tremendously.

I found I too can write much better if I avoid attempting joined up letters.

Reply to
Pancho

No, unfortunately it was picturskew.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

This is more about the failure of the school.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

This apprentice isn't being employed as a scribe, so his handwriting is relatively unimportant. His ability to spell is even less important.

However, he has chosen to be an electrician, which involves fairly fine work, which needs control of his fingers. So, the poor handwriting maybe means he perhaps isn't cut out for that particular job? Maybe, plumbing, where the bits are bigger, would suit him better?

Reply to
GB