Educational standards really have dropped

Brian it's a job sheet with handwriting that looks like a six year old had written it.

You really do not want to see it.

ARW

Sorry meant to have put OT in the header - just in case it offends someone:-)

Reply to
ARW

I hope his day working on his collage went well.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

It crossed over four lines:-)

Reply to
ARW

you mean Tim ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

His handwriting is better than mine :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No.

Someone with a surname named after one of my favourite breakfast foods.

Reply to
ARW

Are you going to put the collage up on the wall?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm reluctant to make fun of handwriting too.

Reply to
Adam Funk

porridge ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Sadly, much the same here.

Reply to
GB

I have tremors in my hand, which are strongly linked to my caffeine intake. In the evening it's scarcely noticeable, but after 3 large mugs of really strong coffee in the morning ...

Reply to
GB

And Friday holiday with gay ?

Reply to
Andrew

Are you saying that you could not write the word college between two lines on a piece of A4?

Serious question, not a piss take.

Reply to
ARW

Thank you. I have done it for you, since your followup titl. did not have OT in it either.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You closed the stable door:-)

Reply to
ARW

I went to a grammar school in the 60s.

My sons went to a different grammar school in the 90s.

I was quite surprised by the way education had changed in those 30 years. Better/worse? I'm not sure but I wish I'd gone to their school, not mine. They certainly did better academically than I did and I like to think I would have done better at their school because of the way teachers worked.

A small story, if I may. When we went to the first parent teacher meeting for our older son his maths teacher told us she'd had to reprimand him once. She had set a problem and then split the class into threes and fours to work on it. She was in one part of the room working with one group when she became aware of raised voices coming from another group. My son and his group were having a very animated (and loud) debate about a particular aspect of the problem. All she did was quiet them down, in my day there would have been a piece of chalk or even a blackboard rubber heading across the room! Oh, and THE first piece of maths homework he ever had was to find out what a Fibonacci sequence is. I had no idea so we went to the local library to look it up. It's 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21 etc. I've always thought that was about teaching him about research and thinking for himself rather than any practical use of the sequence.

Not everything is perfect I agree but there have been significant changes and they are not all bad.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Aha! Bolts! That's OnT.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ditto, Nailsea Grammar School, 1962.

It became comprehensive during my time there, but my year remained a grammar school stream right up to and through the sixth form.

Reply to
gareth evans

In the six years between my attending a grammar school and my sister doing so, they appeared to have forgotten how to teach about the use of the apostrophe.

On the other hand, my own children have received an excellent education.

Reply to
Steve Walker