Editing a PDF file.

Quite a few scanners implementation of scan to PDF produces JPEGs embedded in a PDF outer envelope. If you want to enlarge them to enhance text legibility image by image then something along the lines of double or triple the linear resolution followed by unsharp mask and tweak with histogram adjustment until the font looks best.

Sometimes the result will go through OCR and come out with low error rates even when the original is low resolution ancient scanner output. It all depends how much muck and rubbish was on the original pre scan.

Incidentally anyone recommend a free reliable OCR package these days? I have one that came bundled with a scanner but it isn't free and there is no doubt a better newer version by now.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've just tested this method - fairly simple, just need to create an index file in a text editor like,

[/Page 1 /View [/XYZ null null null] /Title (First page) /OUT pdfmark [/Page 2 /View [/XYZ null null null] /Title (Table of Content) /OUT pdfmark [/Page 3 /View [/XYZ null null null] /Title (Document content) /OUT pdfmark [/Page 6 /View [/XYZ null null null] /Title (Appendix A) /OUT pdfmark [/Page 8 /View [/XYZ null null null] /Title (Preface) /OUT pdfmark

The procedure ...

You'll need ghostscript installed. Mines on linux but guess this is also possible on windows.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I'd re-export to pdf from word, after word has built the index from the headings.

Reply to
GB

Such automation won't be possible. It's only possible in the first place if you use styles and indicate in the style that a heading needs to be included in the ToC. That allows Word to generate the ToC from the headings. And when you convert to PDF, all that information is lost, the headings at best just become text like all the other text.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are absolutely right. I just tested it. The TOC has clickable links in, but as you say these get converted to plain text in the PDF - tried two different converters. What a pain!

I still think that converting to Word would be a good way to automate this process, if for no other reason than there's VBA available.

Reply to
GB

Apparently it works in OpenOffice, and if you then export from OO to PDF the links stay clickable.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

IIRC Konqueror converts unprotected stuff nicely. User stupid stuff may need messing with regular expressions to deal with irritating line spacing. Converting it between text editors and word proceessors has been suggested on forums dealing with this.

Once you are in the word processor you only have to set up the links.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I tried in word 2003, which is what I use. It's the latest version pre-ribbon. Later version *might* handle this better. Or there might be an option somewhere that I failed to set.

Reply to
GB

Depending on how many you need to do and whether confidentiality is a concern, you could try online OCR. Some work quite well.

Richard

Interesting idea. Basically I am looking for something that will cope with documents that have seen better days and are somewhat defaced. Classic OCR ends up with too many random characters and dashes/slashes.

BTW the free PDF editor which worked for me was PDF-Xchange

Like all these things watch out for installer options that mangle other programs and override defaults but it worked for me. I forget entirely the name of the other one which didn't (and uninstalled it in disgust).

Reply to
Martin Brown

I loved my 3.5Ltr SD1. Kitted and finned, alloy wheels, post office red. No pictures. I lost the only 2 :-(

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

S2 models came in Targa or Monza red. Think all V8s had alloy wheels.

But the only colour for an SD1 is black. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was my choice of colour, Dave :-)

Alloys were downsized rims, 5 spoke Revolutions.

A shed underneath the paintwork, as was typical of this model but, bling outside. I was in business at the time. 1992 I had the engine rebuilt, other than the carbs. I had it race tuned to give me a good short burp.

In the end I split it and, scrapped it. No money to put into it. Luckily, I had photos of the kit after it came out of 10 years, hung on garage wall nails. Not a pretty sight.

However, photos were good enough to give me a shape to work with while in my boredom, I got on with playing with Blender. I got an half decent model and I play with it now and then. The idea to get it to sit in real world. Dust and scratches aside, I have a lot to learn about what many call 'real world'.

Capturing a ground shadow and applying it to the environment is messy.

The model is an empty shell. No furniture within. Camera lensing and other dire mistakes are pure ignorance on my part.

So, here is the model in a 'studio' condition...

and, rendering the model into a picture of my brother's empty car spot...

As an aside, for those who might want to use such a no nonsense place to put a one-off picture, try Lightshot, I realised that LS has a simple drag & drop page for a few image types that asks no questions and delivers a link back.

Curious about longevity, I kept my eye on a random post I made 3rd July and the picture is still there of a few seconds ago. 53 days? If you are curious as to when the link will break...

Or might it still be there based on clicks? I have looked 8 times over the 53 days.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12