EDF refuses to get my smart meter display working

Switch to Octopus, as documented elsewhere. EDF won't be the issue, DCC analysts will be batting your ticket back and forth out of their queue as being too difficult to sort. A common trick is to update the ticket and send to the comms or data provider & hope the night team can sort it when it gets batted back. Octopus have a more robust approach with DCC to get tickets resolved.

Reply to
Guppy

Looking for the Usenet 'Like' button.

Reply to
Guppy

Yes, one of the four in-home display units that they successively supplied did keep telling me to move it nearer to the meter, and the EDF customer service people also said that. So I moved it just a few inches from the meter, but it still did not work.

It is rather odd: the latest display is giving some information on electricity but never on gas, but still displays the message "supply disconnected" every few seconds.

I didn't know it cost them £340 when a customer refers a case to the Energy Ombudsman - so it's odd that they thought that a better option than trying to repair it. It also odd that, having pretty good evidence that it was the comms unit in the meter that was faulty, they kept sending out technicians who basically just provided us with a different in-home display, just in case I suppose. But if any of these people were competent they wouldn't be in this business I suppose.

Reply to
Clive Page

I don't actually *want* a smart meter! :-) I think it may put suppliers off trying to install one for us though.

Reply to
Chris Green

Define “working”. It will probably not work with an IHD unit but it would enable access to smart tariffs. Might have trouble linking with a smart gas meter if that’s in your house but as gas isn’t priced half hourly it doesn’t really matter.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Pay peanuts, get monkeys The bean counters step in do the absolute mininum training and send the guys out. In the end wasting far more money than skilled and experienced staff would cost

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

current meters use zigbee

Zigbee is a mesh protocol, if you wanted you could install on or two devices which include repeater functionality (e.g ikea sell a repeater in a 13A plug, or their smart bulbs act as repeaters) if there are suitable intermediate locations?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, and it works.

Reply to