Easy Surface Prep - ESP by Owatrol

I would be interested to hear any views of ESP by Owatrol. "Bonds paint and varnish to all shiny and smooth surfaces."

Is it really as good at adhesion to the object as it says it is or only good at providing a surface for paint to adhere to?

The reviews on Amazon make it sound good but the criticisms cite poor adhesion whereas none of the plaudits say that it provides good scratch resistance. Obviously it does depend a lot on preparation of the surface to ensure complete cleanliness and final finish products but I suspect few who think something looks good are going to deliberately try to scratch it.

An interesting direction for use "When dry, ESP may be left up to 7 days before applying the finish. If this time has passed, re-apply ESP as directed before painting." I wonder what characteristic dictates that.

I have to paint part-melamine and part-moulded MDF bedroom cupboard doors and carcases and want to ensure I get the best possible adhesion for scuff resistance so perhaps I would be better off with oil-based Zinsser. I intend to spray water-based undercoat and silk matt finish but not keen on using solvents.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

On the melamine definitely sand with 1200 grit to get a better key.

normal water based primer is OK on MDF, not sure about the melamine. Id be tempted to spray car primer on that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not used it, but ISTR one of the random drive-bys from HoH did recommend it in reply to an ancient post ...

Reply to
Andy Burns