Earthquake

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the whole house shook.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Same here, St Helens, Lancs.

Usenet reports from all over UK, but the BBC simply says a 'tremor' in the W Midlands

Reply to
Phil L

yes woke me up and I could feel it thumping me in the back through my bed for about 5-10 seconds afterwards, much stronger than the only previous one I've felt ...

tried

it's timing out already

Reply to
Andy Burns

West Norfolk

approx 1am

approx 3-5 secs duration

No visible signs of building damage, no power outages

Reply to
dom

no worse than a truck going past here - where are you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

epicentre near kingston upon hull. 4.7 r

Reply to
Block

Nor in Southampton.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

What, you think anything exciting happens in Watford ?

Reply to
geoff

A good 10 seconds I felt it for here in Blackool.

My house made creaks and other noises and I heard rumbling a bit like distant thunder

First one I've ever felt, really nasty

Reply to
Fray McBentos

Not an underground Nuclear bomb test then?

Reply to
George

Did she blame it on the tremor or did the skip suddenly dissapear. :-)

Small pic, you decide?

Reply to
George

Which is a bit odd, because I felt it, and had it rattle things on the tables here in Cenral Hants. I had to hold down a TV which started to go for a walk.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's the sound of the economy collapsing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Buncefield isn't far away...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Heard 5.3 quoted just now. Having worked in California, I know you can get different estimates from different monitoring stations.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Doesn't the earth move for you?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The 4.7 was the first reading made available by the USGS, BGS later estimated 5.1 then revised it to 5.3

The BGS web site collapsed into a smouldering heap within 3 minutes of the quake, while the USGS one managed to collect 1000 "felt reports" and plot them on a map showing the epicentre within half an hour.

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of those combis that Drivel 'installed'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Err, check the sig?

I was at the top of the house which was swinging side to side. The computer monitor rocking quite violently. Far worse than in a high wind. Quite scary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)