Earth Bonding to incoming gas pipe

Can anyone quote chapter and verse on the requirements to bond the gas supply to earth.

I recently removed a Baxi back boiler and demolished the false chimney breast that hid it. The was a green earth wire connected to the final

15 mm copper pipe that came out of the 3/4 inch iron pipe that runs under the floor beneath where the boiler was and parallel to the skirting (in the screed).

Presumably I need to reconnect this somewhere but is it OK to extend it outside and into the garage, then attach it to the outlet of the gas meter ?, or does it need to be connected to a copper pipe ?.

All new houses seem to have an earth strap coming out the outside wall and connected to the copper gas pipe where it enters the wall.

Reply to
Andrew

Wiring regs:

"The main equipotential bonding connection to water and gas services shall be on the consumer's side of the of any insulating insert in the pipework, and as near as possible to the point at which the service enters the premises. The connection shall be made on the consumer's side of any meter, and between the meter connection and any branch pipework. Where possible the bonding shall be made within 600 mm of the meter"

As the pipework on the meter outlet is iron, you can bond to that safely.

Reply to
Coherers

I just discovered such a bonding on our pipe today. Not knowing anything about gas assumed it was supposed to be there and thankfully did not touch it. However, I did notice that it comes via a cable from the nearest electrical socket (at least it appears to, I've not taken the faceplate off the socket yet). Is this suitable?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kenny

There should have been a label on it telling you not to remove it....

Unlikely.

The bonding conductors should be connected to the main earth terminal at the origin of the installation, e.g. Consumer unit. Unless the conductor is just routed through the socket back to the CU to take advantage of the channelling etc., it won't meet code. A properly installed main equipotential bonding conductor will be in at least 6mm2. Does it look like it fits the bill for that? A bodger who has just taken it to the ring main CPC (i.e earth wire) is likely not to have used the correct stuff.... Worth having the faceplate off ....

Reply to
Coherers