woodwork master at school (45 years ago) used ..."/>

Why are DIY ers alwys whingers?

My other half is our main DIYer. ( I do the garden and some decorating).
Today, on insruction, I went 20 miles to a DIY and got him a McKeller rotery tool to cut tiles. Cost me 29.99 and I prompty brought it home. he didnt like it. It had no "guts" in it he said. Waste of 29.99.
But this seems true of everything he gets. Most birthdays and Christmases I buy him some tool or other I have seen him looking at constantly in the various tool merchants and shops. He even expresses interest in wanting them!
I bought him a 500 Hilti heavy duty hammer drill , large type. he gave it away to a work colleague. I bought him a Mikita Jig saw ( 200 pounds) didnt like it , was "rubbish" he said. It was eventually stolen whilst he was working - someone else didnt think it was rubbish obviously
I have bought him so many kinds of electric and cordless drill I have lost count. None of them under 50 . Two were Hilti's. I have bought him a sander and a planer ( lost the planer to a carpenter and I had to replace it, but he still said it was rubbish. I bought him dozens of tool boxes .....
I bought him a nail gun, for pinning bath panels - rubbish. I bought him a I bought him a 12 ft by 12 ft ship lap pine panelled shed - he has it fiulled with "rubbish" but says the shed is no good any way. I bought him a concrete mixer , doesnt like it, it will get dirty quickly - rubbish. I bought him a Black and Decker Workmate - rubbish again. I got him a power washer and drain clearing attachments..... same story , but he takes them to work.
Last Christmas I bought him a chop and mitre saw ( another 200 one). He promptly called it rubbish and put it on his van to take to work because he had lost his wood saw a few days before.
So why do so many men whinge about the tools they get and still use them?
mich wrote: [snip]

This has just got to be a troll.
Rick
On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:43:32 +0100, Richard Sterry wrote:

There is every possibility the 30 tile cutter was crap. No trolls detected.
But the 200+ tools should have produced a flicker of gratitude (or more...) It looks a lot like you are giving the right stuff to the wrong guy.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
writes

It's not DIYers, it's your OH
Sack him and move on

--
geoff

<SNIP>

There is an old saying that "a bad workman always blames his tools". My woodwork master at school (45 years ago) used to counter that by saying "A good workman only uses good tools".
You can choose which of these you prefer! Either way, make sure he chooses his own tools - even if you pay for them!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

<snip>
Yes that is what people do on this sort of group, it's why it exists, there are enough self congratulationary DIY programmes on the TV without this group turning into one as well !...

he
sander
quickly -

him
takes
he
You married the wrong bloke - how do you fancy a menage a trois ?
Andrew Mawson

Because women moan about men's tools?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

He wants the tools, but has no idea how to use them, so somehow has to have an excuse for his failings.
If you have urges to buy tools for people, then I have a great use for .........
Rick