Earth bonding

This will seem like a silly question. I need to attach a standard earth bond to a copper pipe. However, I can't get the clamp to stay in place - every time I try, it just slips because the metal strap isn't held tightly enough. What am I doing wrong?

(Here's what I'm doing: using wire wool to clean the pipe; putting metal strap around pipe and back through the hole; tightening the screw so that it holds the strap in place, while at the same time pulling the strap taut. This last step is a bit tricky, but however taut the strap is, when I let go the clamp slips down the pipe a bit. Am I supposed to turn the screw so tight that it passes through the metal strap?)

Reply to
Robert Hunt

Have you loosened off the locknut first?

No way will you be even able to drive the screw through the strap, you'll strip the thread on the clamp long before that - which is a common problem if you overtighten the screw.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you "kink" the free end of the tail where it passes through the guide (after pulling it tight) then it won't pull through.

Reply to
OldScrawn

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:21:10 +0000, Robert Hunt strung together this:

Yep.

I don't think you're tightening it enough. The screw is meant to bend the straps so they can't slide out. Friction alone is no good.

Reply to
Lurch

Undo the lock nut and unscrew the screw near flush with the bracket. Pull the strap tight and bend the end over to hold it initially. Now tighten the screw with a decent size driver. It won't slip now. Remember to do up the lock nut.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)