Earth bonding clamps

In preparation of my new boiler being installed I've run some 10mm cable from the CU to the gas pipes for earth bonding. However I can't work out how you are supposed to attach the bonding clamps to the gas pipes. I'm using these ones

tried wrapping the 'tag' part around the pipe, back through the 'buckle' and tightening the screw but it didn't make a particularly tight fit to the pipe. Am I missing something or do I just nee to pull harder on the tag to make it snug to the pipe.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I haven't got one in front of me but I had similar difficulties. I came to the conclusion that they were shipped in a different configuration to that which they were used in. I think you have to take out the little moveable assembly in the centre and turn it upside down, so the flat bit of the stamping can bear against the pipe. Without a picture or me having one in front of me that's probably gibberish but I've given you a big clue!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Jim said the following on 12/08/2006 16:46:

Can you post a picture of what you're doing?

Basically, you remove the label from the strap, completely unscrew the screw-and-nut and put the label under the screw-and-nut. Slacken the nut right off (i.e. so the nut is close to the screw head). Pass the strap round the pipe and through the buckle. Get a pair of pliers and grip the strap right next to the buckle, so you can tighten the screw without the strap slipping back through the buckle. Don't over-tighten the screw or you will deform the copper pipe. Straighten the label and tighten the nut. Make off the electrical connection, noting that if you're cross-bonding your gas and water, then at the intermediate point, don't cut the 10mm earth cable - instead, carefully strip off an inch or so of insulation, untwist the cable so you have a "gap" and make the connection to the bond.

HTH

Reply to
Rumble

Remove one end of the labelso it sticks out.

Feed the end around the pipe and through the side so that it passes beneath the bottom of the bolt.

Undo locknut.

Pull band as tight as possible and do up bolt.

Tighten down lock nut.

Job done.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , Jim wrote

Yep that's the way.

I use a pair of pliers to pull the tag through to give a reasonably tight fit however the screw adjustment takes up a lot of slack.

The locking nut on the screw thread may be preventing you tightening the screw enough.

Slacken off the screw a few turns and wind the nut on the screw back almost to the screw head. You will/may then find that you can turn the screw a lot more times to tighten the assembly to the pipe. Final step is to tighten up the nut to the body of the clamp.

Reply to
Alan

See :-

Edgar Iredale

Thanks to all that replied, I had the right idea in principal, it was trying to keep the label on the strap that was throwing me !!

The ultimatehandyman website looks useful and has been added to my bookmarks

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

That site shows the label at the wrong side of the lock nut. It also states that the label should be removed to obtain a good electrical connection. This is untrue. The reason the label is removed and reattatched away from the pipe is to meet reg 522-05-02 "Metals liable to initiate electrolytic action shall not be placed in contact with each other"

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No! Likely to crush the pipe a bit..all you do is pull the tag through as tight as you can, and hold while tightening screw. Soon the screw stops the tag from slipping; continued tightening pulls the band against the pipe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Have a look at

NotMe

Thanks Adam.

So you are saying the label should be between the clamp and the lock nut not just dangling on the screw thread? I've seen it (and done it) both ways. Now I leave the label dangling. (I've considered threading the label along the wire too as that seems to be the way with a new plastic clamp which holds the wire against the pipe in direct contact and looks a very simple way to make a connection.)

If electrolytic action is a problem here then surely putting the label under the nut could be a problem too. Dangling can't cause much harm.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Take the tag off the clamp then you can if you wish put the tag throug the screw , if not then wrap the steel tail round the pipe inserting i throught the clamp where the screw is , pull tight and tighten down th screw. Thge clamp should now be tight on the pip

-- scubabob

Reply to
scubabob

Bob Eager wrote on 12/08/2006 :

Pull the tag through as tightly as possible with your fingers - then make a sharp bend in it right next to the clamp, to prevent it pulling back through as you tighten the screw. Light finger pressure will then hold it there as you tighten it up - no need to disfigure the strap with pliers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield