Earlex Spray Stations

Hi as any one got one of these spray stations? Are they any good ? i do a lot of internal painting (emulsion) but also a fair bit of external walls, fences and sheds etc at the moment im doing it all by hand.

thanks

Steve

Reply to
SJ

Do you mean the electromechanical airless things?

I tried one for the applications you describe and found it to be a chocolate teapot. It was returned for a refund.

I use an air driven one from the airline now.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

IIRC Woolies sold them last year

can't spray Emulsion can't spray Gloss

Reply to
Chris Oates

Thanks for your replies so far, according to the earlex website

they can spray various emulsions etc the station im thinking of is the 3000

SJ

Ah, This is an HVLP. Different story. It may well be OK.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, Earlex are HVLP.

On a similar note, anyone know if the HVLP guns sold by Earlex for use with their vacuum cleaners are anything other than a bad joke?

Way back in the past, my dad had a vacuum cleaner with a spray gun attachment which worked rather well. I wondered if the Earlex unit would provide usable results with my workshop vac.

Reply to
Steve Firth

..snip

..snip

I have one of these, gave a very nice finish on some large pieces of MDF, even used it with the MDF primer. Getting the viscosity of the paint correct was largely a matter of trial and error, the supplied viscosity measurer gave inconsistent results. When it was just a little too thick had a fun time making sure the nozzle didn't clog (emulsion).

Pick a very wind-free day or else wear a lot of protective clothing if you're doing this indoors!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Rousell

Could some kind soul fill me in on what HVLP stands for? I'm guessing High Voltage etc.

PoP

----- If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

I'll probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the message..... :)

Reply to
PoP

Nope, High Volume, Low Pressure.

Lots of air but at very low pressures, not even one bar.

Reply to
Steve Firth

High Volume Low Pressure.

It's a type of air driven spray system, generally with a turbine type blower rather than by the use of a compressor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thank 'ee kindly sir!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I've got an Apollo HVLP set made by Bambi, and it's very good for cellulose etc once you get the hang of it. However, it uses a rather different design of blower than the average vacuum cleaner. It wasn't cheap at around 200 quid but is light and portable which makes it a good alternative for those who can't have a normal compressor type spray.

I played with an airless Earlex, and I'd say it would work fine for emulsion etc - I got it to work ok with cellulose primer but couldn't afford the paint to experiment with top coat.

On both these guns the instructions are rubbish.

I think you'd probably get reasonable results with an ordinary vacuum cleaner as a power source provided you have the time and patience to experiment with viscosity and flow levels etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

High volume low pressure. Its main benefits over conventional high pressure is no problems with water from the compressor and less over spray. It's also rather more usable outdoors for car stuff etc. By nature you can spray continuously with it instead of waiting for the pressure to build with a small conventional compressor. I'd say it also gives rather better results per pound spent on the gear - although of course a compressor has other uses too which clouds the issue. It's also easily carried and stored which in my case was paramount.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks, I wasn't thinking of painting a car with it, but I do have one mother of an emulsioning job to do, and I suppose I can afford £25 for a toy.

Reply to
Steve Firth