Duh! landlords repairs

Next door has a leek in the bay window roof, she's been waiting a week for the repairs bloke to come out and repair it. It was fine day yesterday no rain, apparently he turned up and supposedly couldn't get an answer at the door and I know for a fact she was in anyway he slipped a note under the door,not through the letterbox(probably didn't want to make a noise), saying he had called to do the repair but got no answer.

She phoned the office(estate agents), who is the go between for the real landlord and told them the situation they said we cant understand why he did not do the repair as it was an outside job and this type of work is usually done regardless of the occupant being at home or not.

I know what's happening their charging the real landlord for a call out and then getting charged again for the job when it is done. Rip off estate agents.

p.s this repairs bloke has a relative working in the office. Someone let it slip on the phone.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

They don't want a "repairs bloke", they want a gardener.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

pmsl, I realised just as I pressed the damn send button. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's really iterating, when that happens.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Tell the landlord

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Problem there is... most landlords take on estate agents to stay out of the hassle of having anything to do with the tenants and the repairs. So more fool them if they want to get ripped off.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why? That's a total non sequitur.

Would be nice if the tenant told the landlord what's going on otherwise how's he ever going to find out? His address - not the agent's - must be included on the tenancy agreement by law.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Are you sure it does? I thought if the agreement showed the landlords agent address thats all that is needed?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, m'lord! I can't lay my hands on supporting evidence right now but it does need to be in - it's in relation to the tenant serving notices on the landlord.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well I'm afraid your partially wrong on this.

I just knocked next door an asked her to see the agreement and it stated...

Mr&Mrs blah,blah C/o the blah,blah estate agents

129 blah,blah

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Correct!

's_address.htm> I just knocked next door an asked her to see the agreement

So... although it's *usual* for the LL's address to be included in a tenancy, an agent's address will suffice, as in your neighbour's case; however the LL's address must still be provided to the tenant on request.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The landlords name does not have to be on the tenancy agreement but the agent must give this to the tenant if asked, as it is the law. If the landlord/agent does not do this then it opens up a can of worms - one of which is the rent "is not legally due". Basically they have no choice but to give the tenant the landlords address (but not their phone number)

Reply to
justcalledfubar