fasten up wall cupboards

Hi Group As you did such a good job with my kitchen worktop question I hope you can help with this one. First I have read the group suggestions on this topic, but. I have to mount, yes Ikea, wall cupbords. These each weigh abount 15 Kg empty so assume 25Kg when they are full. Size is 100cm tall by 60cm wide. The only provision for fixing is a hole in the two top corners, about 2cm diameter. So do I just stick some screws in the wall using raw plugs and if so what size will be needed to support this weight. Or do I use some form of anchor bolt, again how big?

Look forward to more good advise. Graham

Reply to
graham.else

Depends entirely on what sort of wall you're attaching them to, which you don't mention: solid brick? solid block? plasterboard partition? Something else?

You'll certainly find the answer in the newsgroup archives (for all wall types); this comes up regularly!

David

Reply to
Lobster

2cm?? Are you sure?

I've just put up a 1000mm x 900mm wall unit - I used 4 x 60mm x No;10 screws with 8mm brown plugs - solid as a rock & going nowhere.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

If well loaded, chip tends to sag in time. So a good rule with kitchen cupboards is to use plenty of fixings, makes the thing last better, and tolerate much more load. Think mine have 6 a piece. It takes all of a minute to add more fixings.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It helps enormously if you can contrive to sit the bottom of the cabinets on a wall-mounted batten made out of some suitable matching material. This removes all the shear force from the main holding screws - so they simply have to provide sufficient force in tension to stop the cupboards from tilting forwards.

Reply to
Set Square

If the bolts/screws are doing the job properly there wont be a significant shear force. The bolt tension provides the friction between cupboard and wall which stops it sliding down.

Reply to
DJC

Graham one of the best ways to mount cupboards to a wall is to mount a shaped [1] batten to the back of the cupboard and another to the wall then place the cupboard batten on top of the wall one the more weight on the cupboard the more the cupboard will be pulled into the wall .

[1] Shaped with an angle running into the wall A LA:-

the 30 second paint drawing

Reply to
soup

I have always tended to use Fischer (?) 'Hammerfix' fixings for wall cupboards.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

There's theory . . . and then there's practice!

Reply to
Set Square

Having said that my kitchen cupboards (put up by kitchen fitters) merely has two "normal" (can only see the heads so can't give lengths/widths etc) screws holding each cupboard to the wall these screws are rawplugged of course and the wall is plastered breeze block (non load bearing). Maybe they only do the flaffing about with battens thing if the wall is plaster board?

Reply to
soup

Screws are (at a guess) in the 80mm long by 4mm diameter region.

Reply to
soup

Maybe they only do the faffing about thing with battens when it's in their own kitchen - if it's a client's kitchen, some of them couldn't care less

Reply to
Homer2911

Hi Group

As you did such a good job with my kitchen worktop question I hope you can help with this one. First I have read the group suggestions on this topic, but. I have to mount, yes Ikea, wall cupbords. These each weigh abount 1 Kg empty so assume 25Kg when they are full. Size is 100cm tall by 60cm wide. The only provision for fixing is a hole in the two top corners, about 2cm diameter. So do I just stick some screws in the wall using raw plugs and if so what size will be needed to support this weight. Or do I use some form of anchor bolt, again how big?

Look forward to more good advise. Graham

I have just fitted Ikea units including a run of cupboards and as the are fixed to Celcon blocks i was not happy about the strength o fixings so used spare wall fixings from the base units to put a coupl of fixings at the BOTTOM corners of a couple of cabinets. Cant reall see them and it just gives added support.

Fredd

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk