Painting kitchen cupboards

SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks

Reply to
chudford

If you want a wood look, cover the doors with a thin veneer. That just glues on the face with a spread of PVA wood glue and a couple of clamps.

Melamine door finish is horrible to paint on. That's why some paint makers have come up with those "Special" paints. The "Special" paint actually melts its way into the surface of the melamine coating.

A wash with sugar soap then a rub with coarse sandpaper before painting is best. It leaves the melamine rough to grab the paint better. It ruins the smooth finish of the original door, but maybe that's why your painting them in the first place. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Get cans of car spray paint from halfords ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess you haven't done much spraying with aerosols then? And not a good idea to do it outside at this time of year .It's a warm weather job to avoid bloom.

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

They do get these silly ideas into their little heads don't they.

New doors might be quicker/easier.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've only used the International melamine paint amd found it worked very well (brush). I used white to cover a very bright blue corner unit infill, one coat did the job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Teach her how to paint. When I decided my kitchen cabinets needed to be a different colour, I painted them myself.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yeah. But. You is one of dem one's wiv no feer. You know, dem real dangerous ones.

Reply to
BigWallop

If you do go the spray route, it must be outside, otherwise just about everything will get painted, and you can get in trouble from the fumes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not to mention SWMBO.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Wusses the lot of you.

Overspray isn't that bad, and is catered for by enough newspapers.

I do it in a spare room, open window, shot door, and leave it till the next coat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well she paints herself enough..

Reply to