Drop front cabinet - heavyweight stays needed

My MIL has a drinks cabinet with a pretty heavy drop front - one of the ones with a glass mirror inside. The original stays were made of brass, but after they broke about 10 years ago, I've only been able to get replacement sliding stays with nylon runners. The weight of the door means that unless you are very careful when you open it, the nylon part breaks off the sliding stay. So far we're on our 3rd pair in 5 years and they need replacing again.

Does anyone know of any widely available version that is going to last a bit longer than these

near central Manchester would be an advantage.

Reply to
OG

How about the stays for windows laterally mounted? Friction or casement type, if the latter the ones with clamps rather than them with gravity reliant holes?

Or, get her to stop resting the Gin bottle there ...

Reply to
Adrian C

> Available near central Manchester would be an advantage.

Does it *have* to slide? I've seen (and used, in the past) metal folding arms which do the same job.

How about something like

?

Reply to
Roger Mills

How about one of these two?

Jonathan

A lot here

a more DIY solution

might provide a good start.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Transom hinges might not be big enough but something like this

be OK and would allow her out in an emergency (your priority might be different!).

Reply to
PeterC

>>> Available near central Manchester would be an advantage.

or check out the Woodfit website .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Turn steampunk and use bike chain (running out through a hole in an escutcheon plate and with a sash weight on the back).

Personally, unless I bother to make good stays (or buy them from Lee Valley) I'd use some sort of chain here rather than buying the usual folding bars. If you have some old brass I-beam curtain rail around, that makes a nice stay.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

get some brass and make one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , OG writes

Unfortunately I read that as my mother in law has a heavy drop front..

Take one of the broken ones to clas ohlson in the Arndale centre, see if they have something similar.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

The message from Clint Sharp contains these words:

Well, no doubt some mothers-in-law do! That's the stage at which the bustless girls have a great advantage.

Reply to
Appin

> Available near central Manchester would be an advantage.

Thanks to all, The real problem (this time) is that the screws had pulled out of the wood, and a bit of wood filler sorted that. At least it means I'll have a bit more time so sort out a long term replacement.

Reply to
OG