Earthing and Plastic Plumbing

This was mentioned last year; I see that the FAQ has an excellent article on the subject, although the link to Hepworth is dead. I've just disinterred an article from its box, so had a search. There are [at least] 2 good sources (although they're really the same content), one of which is a live link to Hepworth:

as a PDF:

**http%3a//
PDF of 83kB).

Reply to
PeterC

The stuff on equipotential bonding in bathrooms has changed with the

17th edition of the wiring regs.

If the supply is fully rcd protected in that location, the requirement is reduced or eliminated.

(I also noticed that the head of article says "by Paul Cook of the Institute of Electrical Engineers", but it links to the IEEE - the american institution. The name of ours has also changed to the IET, Institute of Engineering Technology)

Reply to
dom

Agreed, however supplementary bonding rules may still apply. Take a bathroom with an electrical installation that meets the 16th edition and then you add an electric shower. The 17th edition will probably require the cable for the shower to be RCD protected but if you are not touching anything else electrically in the bathroom then the new shower would need to be supplementary bonded to the rest of the bathroom electrics (and metal pipework).

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John. The FAQ really is good and my first place to look when I need information.

Reply to
PeterC

It still needs work in places as some bits are getting a bit dated now...

Reply to
John Rumm