Driveway Woes

Hi all

Just had er indoors on saying that we have received a letter from the posties. Due to the uneven nature of our "drive" they will cease delivery to the front door after 14 days! The drive comprises many large and very uneven pavers - too much for an office boy like me to relay :(.

Even if I just "get a man in" there's no way this is going to sorted properly on that time scale.

Guess it's a post box at the end of the "drive" for a while. As we don't have anything at the drive end (other than hedge), I can't see a box-on-a-post being too secure an option though.

Any alternatives?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Why isn't a post-box secure? It depends how you make it, surely?

Reply to
GB

Yippee! No more bills or junk mail! If you're like me, the postie never brings anything that I actually *want*!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Surely tampering with someone else's post is an offence? It's all boxes at the end of the drive over here[1], but it's not a problem because the penalty for being caught stealing acts as a deterrent.

[1] nothing quite like having to go outside to fetch it when it's 30 degrees below zero, though - I do rather miss having a letter box in the front door :-)

Get some dirt in and just make a walkable pathway over the top of the pavers until you can sort it out properly?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We've had a post box on a post at the end of the drive for ~20 years. And a knackered plastic box for parcels. No-one's stolen anything yet.

Reply to
Huge

The miserable bastards. Your drive is better than my parents street and they still get a postal delivery.

Reply to
ARW

=

We had a letter about the "improvements" to our delivery service. It appears that they have bought a few little red vans, and given them a small trolley to sort into and then deliver. I've seen the poor postie running between houses, and our deliveries have been happening any time between 6pm and 7.15pm.

Probably the small wheels on the trolley make life impossible to go up some drives.

My son's house came with a great cast iron box on a pole at the bottom of the drive, with a padlocked front that hinges up to take the post out.

Reply to
Bill

Wait till they discover some moss

Andy Burns

A good excuse for a trip to France, to buy one of the post boxes they use, which are a lot more solid than anything I've seen in this country. Then weld it to the top of a deeply buried RSJ.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Or the cheaper option.. get an old car, cut letter box slot in boot lid, park at end of drive.

Reply to
dennis

Beware that once you put any sort of box at the street (temporary or no) they will never let you go back to delivery at door.

Reply to
F Murtz

I bet those pizza folk will still walk the drive though won't they. Poor dears at the Post office, first they don't need to be able to read English, now they cannot negotiate uneven paving as well, what next, two days to deliver? Oh yes that has already been suggested sorry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, that would have improved things. Unless it was only delivering on two days a week.

Reply to
John Williamson

Postal redirection to your next door neighbour (or similar) until the drive is done?

Reply to
ARW

The registered letter they got warning them of the dangers should be proof if a postman trips.

Reply to
ARW

"Royal Mail spokeswoman, Morag Turnbull said: ... Royal Mail delivers to almost 29 milli "Under the circumstances, mail deliveries to your address will be suspended in wet weather conditions such as persistent rain, snow or ice, for health and safety reasons."

This part, also from the spokeswoman, is also interesting:

'We know this is inconvenient and we apologise to customers, but the safety and welfare of our staff is paramount and we only suspend deliveries if the safety of our postmen and women is at risk.

If the "safety and welfare of our staff is paramount" why are they not ensuring the footware that their delivery staff are using is suitable for the job. ie walking on less than optimal surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can't see the OP..

Get someone in to re lay the blocks, if they can't do it immediately, simply get a few sheets of cheap sheathing ply and lay these flat for walking on temporarilly

Reply to
Phil L

Mrs Cake won't be getting any, it seems.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They'll put all the post in the Dead Letter Office.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Yes that's also part of the irony here - a lot of the local pathways are so poor that more elderly residents actually walk on the road because they are less likely to incur injury!

Phil

Reply to
thescullster