drilling through studs?

Hello,

Is it possible/allowed to drill or notch studs in a stud wall; especially if it is not load bearing?

I did remove the plasterboard wall from my bathroom wall once and found that the studs had been notched to allow an overflow pipe to pass through, from when the airing cupboard had been located in there many years before. The wall had not fallen down, which suggests it is structurally ok, but is it seen as a bodge?

Can you drill holes for cables, provided they are in the right zones? I'm thinking it might avoid problems of running cable through the loft space, where insulation may cover the cable.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thank you.

Reply to
Stephen

Use these to prevent nails and screws from going into the cable/pipe

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

yes, if you're too dim to use a pencil.

NT

I think they are designed for more long term protection rather than the immediate fitting of plasterboard.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Indeed. Still unnecessary though.