Drilling hole in sink

I have fitted a sink but now realise there is no hole for the plug chain to attach to, it's designed to have a plug that you push in the middle to release, but I would prefer a normal plug. Is there a reliable way to drill a small hole in it without breaking it?
Thanks
--

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com

assuming it is china you could carefully drill it with a tile drill, but equally you could just use a plug with a finger grip or glue on a chain retainer, or loop the chain round a tap.
mrcheerful . wrote:

A china sink? I think he means a stainless steel kitchen sink. China is used for bathroom basins :-p
Phil L wrote:

Sorry it is a china bathroom basin, there isn't really anywhere to put a stick on retainer that would look neat, a tile drill sounds like what I need.
--

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com

Attach it to the wall or unit and save a load of hassle :-)
Tom wrote:

Could you come by a grille for the overflow? You could attach the plug to it.

How do you work that out from the OP question, apart from assuming a sink kitchen and a basin = toilet/bathroom

Which is VERY difficult to drill even with tile drills etc BTDTWTTS. The OP states that "it's designed to have a plug that you push in the middle to release", I have never seen these in a kitchen (Stainless Steel) sink but in many a toilet BASIN!!
To the OP, I think you are going to struggle on this one, I once drilled a toilet cistern and it took ages and was a b*****d to do, but I managed it (eventually)
HTH
John

I'd use a masonry drill - non-hammer rather than tile drill.

We have a pop up waste on one of the bowls in out enamelled steel kichen sink

Yep, i'd stick with he pop up waste
--
Chris French

writes

What material is the sink made of?
--
Chris French

D'yer know, it'd help if we knew whether it's ceramic, steel, glass, plastic, Corian.....
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

Sounds too risky if it is china. It will eventually crack I fear. Learn to like an alternative.
writes

Have you contacted the manufactures to see why they didn't provide one, or what they "intended" you to do with it?......
--
Tony Sayer

err doesn't the 'designed to be used with a pop up waste' answer that question?
--
Chris French

Tom wrote:

1. Put the chain around a tap, or 2. Train people to not hide the plug or to throw it away.
I've had loose plugs for 15 years and not lost any.

Buy a spare plug if you're paranoid. It won't break the bank...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Ummm... wouldn't it be simpler to attach your plug chain to a suction cup???
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Helen Deborah Vecht

Or use a big ball bearing. Endless hours of fun playing basin roulette, in more ways than one.
--

Dave