Drayton TRV4 temperature settings

I'm planning on fitting some TRV's. I'm tempted to go for Drayton TRV4's. Could anyone confirm if they can be turned right down to a zero setting? The specification on the Invensys website only lists 1 to 6 and * in it's table of temperature settings. SWMBO is unlikely to grant approval for any TRV's that she can't turn right off.

If TRV4's cease to be an option the next choice would be Honeywell VT117E. Does anyone have any comments on how these two compare from a reliability point of view.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke presented the following explanation :

The * position is frost protection. If it must be turned right off (for service) the usual trick is to place a small coin between head and valve.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The lowest setting is a * or frost setting - effectively off from a comfort or normal heating point of view.

To turn it off completely (ie for maintenance) requires removal of the thermostatic head and replacment of the service cap.

Personally I think the TRV4 range look very neat . Robert

Reply to
robert

Thanks. Looks like the Draytons won't get approval then. Some of our existing radiators have TRV's (Siemens and Honeywell) and have a tendency to come on briefly if they're left at * when the boiler first starts up in the morning even when the temperature isn't low enough to need it. So the option to turn them down to the zero setting will be a SWMBO requirement. Looks like it'll need to be Honewell VT117E's then.

Yes, the Honewell ones have been good and reliable for us but look a bit too big and lumpy.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

"Mike Clarke" wrote

This could be a function of the way your system is piped rather than the TRVs. It is possible if the system returns are not ideally located to get reverse circulation. Maybe replacing TRVs will not resolve this - just a thought

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Probably not, they heat up from the inlet end when this happens.

We're not replacing any because of this, it's not a problem if they're turned down to zero in rooms we're not wanting to heat at the time. I'm just about to fit some to the radiators that never had any and I don't want to get the blame for fitting TRV's that she can't turn off.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I fitted TRV4s in my old house, in the 8 years we were there I can't say I ever noticed that happening.

Then again , if they had it wouldn't have bothered me I don't suppose anyway

Reply to
chris French