Draining indirect/cylinder system

Sorry for asking what might seem a easy question, but I have a wood burning stove/back boiler which does have drain on it. Need to wash out system and add some protector. Do I just connect hose and drain, or is is best to hold up arm in feeder tank ?. Will my radiators drain ? and do I need to open the air lock on these. Any advice greatly appeciated. Stu

Reply to
sndevereux

We also have a similar system - the following is based on experience with our system, rather than any "professional" knowledge.....

Why do you need to wash out the system ? Are you getting problems with sludge in the system ? - or are some rads not getting warm, or you're getting 'clunky' noises ??

If you need to, the most effective way I've found to de-sludge involves draining the system completely (you will need to tie up the valve in the feeder tank or turn off the water to the valve). The you'll want to remove each radiator in turn (watching out for the sludge in the rads which will stain carpet 'forever') carry them outside and flush them through with a hosepipe. You'll need to undo the bleed vents in the top of each radiator to let the air in, as otherwise they won't empty. Depending on the way it's plumbed, you may also need to drain the boiler itself - or it may drain with the rest of the system.

The best time to do this is in the summer ..... which is why I'm wondering if you really need to do it now ?? Maybe you can postpone this job until next summer - depending on the number of rads you have it can be a good day's work....

If all you need to do is to add protector ("inhibitor") then you can probably get away with tieing up the valve in the header tank, draining several buckets (maybe 5 or 6) of water out of the system - then mixing up the inhibitor and pouring it into the header tank (which should be empty after you've done the draining).

Then release the valve in the header tank, allow the system to fill, and fire the boiler, bleeding out the air from the radiators as usual.

Hope this helps Adrian Suffolk UK

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall