Running indirect cylinder dry

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

Reply to
PM

Ed Sirett

Reply to
john

I ran one like that for months, it was OK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The cylinder won't empty unless you specifically drain it via its drain off point (normally on the inlet pipe at the bottom. Simply draining the cold header tank above it will only allow the water level to drop to the height of the top of the cylinder (actually to the lowest Tee-joint above it). And no, it sholdn't do any harm at all.

Reply to
Calvin

Oh yeah - never thought of that!

Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
PM

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get Primatics?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yep. All the big cylinder makers make them. I can't see the point in them. Disadvantages are too many.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm certain it isn't a Primatic.

Reply to