Indirect Cylinder

Hi Folks, A Quickie [I should be so lucky!!] I have just installed a new wash hand basin with 10mm tails. The resultant flow is [putting it mildly] very poor. I was thinking of changing the connections to the hot water cylinder from an indirect to direct feed. Can I do this to my existing cylinder or, because of the increased pressure will I have to fit a new one. Thanks for your input

Reply to
ronnie

If you mean do away with the gravity CW header tank and feed mains directly into the hot cylinder, DON'T DO IT!

Normal cylinders are *not* designed for mains pressure. It is very dangerous - and illegal. Mains pressure cylinders are specially designed - with lots of safety gizzmos built in - and have to be installed by someone who has undertaken the appropriate training. You can't legally DIY them.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Its the 10mm tap tails that are your problem. No way round that other than to fit different tap.

Reply to
Bookworm

Or to increase the pressure, as the OP intends. Obviously, the initially proposed solution of the OP to convert the existing gravity cylinder would be extraordinarily dangerous. However, the principle is sound (provided the cylinder is replaced), provided the mains water supply is adequete.

To do safely, it would require the replacement of the hot water cylinder with either an cylinder unvented cylinder or heat bank. This will cost a considerable amount of money, but would have significant additional benefits. The shower, for example, will be exceptional, without the need for pumps. The bath will fill rapidly. Bulky cold water tanks that are succeptible to freezing are no longer required in the loft. In the case of the heat bank, the hot water becomes potable, so can be used in the kettle, or even directly for hot drinks.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've got 10mm tails to both basin and bidet in my bathroom with only the basin cold fed off the mains. And I'd describe the flow as adequate - surely you don't want high pressure from either splashing all over the place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)