Drain survey

I think I might get a drain camera. That worked out at £525/hr + VAT.

Good news; no roots in the drains.

Bad news; There's a "belly" in the pipe, so the, er, solids, settle half-away along the run, so it'll have to be dug up and relaid. And no, I'm not doing it myself.

Reply to
Huge

What are the drains made of? Is it pitch fibre? thats about all I can think of that might move over time (with the soil) to give you that Belly effect. UPVC and glazed ceramic shouldn't do this.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They're PVC. And no, they shouldn't move, but they have.

Reply to
Huge

How long is the "belly". PVC will move several inches over a 3 m length. Glazed ceramic came in 3' (4'?) lengths with a fair bit of play in each socket.

Under a driveway that has had heavy vehicles passing or parked near the route fo the drain. How far down are they?

Of course they might not have been properly beded in when installed and they have just settled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That seems an unbelievably high figure to me. I think I paid no more than a couple of hundred for a survey plus jetting, must have taken more than an hour. Or was it (say) £150 including a fair callout charge for something that they managed to do in a quarter of an hour? The full kit in a typical van (camera plus pressure washer plus long flexible hose) is not cheap.

Reply to
newshound

anything will sag over time if there is subsidence under it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That seems steep for a camera survey the guy who jetted our blocked drain o ffered to do a survey for £150 if the problem came back.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The latter, of course.

Reply to
Huge

It didn't take an hour ...

Reply to
Huge

Assuming they were laid right in the first place...

Reply to
John Rumm

About 3m

No. They run along the rear wall of the house, adjacent to the garden. I'm hoping they're in the French drains, which will make them easy to dig up.

Start off 40cm down and finish about 70cm down, over some 20m.

Judging by the standard of "workmanship" in this house, that's my suspicion. Combine that with the fact we've just refitted both bathrooms with so-called "water saving" cisterns, and there isn't enough "whoosh" to carry the poo through.

Reply to
Huge

Big assumption, here.

Reply to
Huge

Much travelling time?

Reply to
Robin

OK, but in that case "rate per hour" is not really the thing to quote.

That said, I do agree that the falling price of drain inspection kit means that it could well be a reasonable investment, especially if you know you won't have to look too far from an access point.

Dyno-Rod did used to rather milk their monopoly power at one time, there is much more competition now.

Reply to
newshound

No sounds a bit yuck to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sadly some of the upvc kind can be cracked according to thames water. Its stress normally.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah, so Thames might be correct. Could be roots under the belled area in the split maybe? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

About 10 minutes if they charge at the same rate as the chap I had do a TV survey.

Reply to
Nightjar

That's why they are supposed to be sitting on a bed of pea shingle

100mm deep, then covered and surrounded with another 100mm deep layer of pea shingle, and then if less than a certain distance from the surface, at least 4 inches of concrete to prevent damage from enthuastic gardening or diy.

The Thames water area is predominently clay which does tend to swell and shrink.

Reply to
Andrew

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I should know better than to read uk.d-i-y while eating my evening meal.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson