Drain pipes for garage rainwater

The garage is having a makeover, including getting guttering. What pipe do I use for the underground run to the outlet for the septic tank ?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You don't run rain water to a septic tank. I hope you meant that you are running the pipe to where the outlet of the tank itself goes..

It should go to a soakaway..or of you are really lucky and the health and safety lot haven't seen it, into a ditch.

4" standard pipe is adequate.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

why do you need to run the garage rain water to your septic tank rain water goes to a soak away ?

Reply to
Mr Fixit

I did realise that all of you would read this as my running the drain into the septic tank - I did try to make it clear I was going to the

**OUTLET** from the tank as I'm not that daft. Rant over.

The septic tank runs into a local stream - yes I know that is not approved of now but it's 80 years old and no-one has bothered me about it. A soak away means a lot of digging and it seems much more sensible to run into the local burn - are there rules against this ? Regardless of that, if I do a soak away what piping do I use - seems a bit unnecessary to use 4" drain pipes.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It does not take much moss etc to block a smaller pipe. I would have thought it much simpler to be able to fit and forget rather than have to keep clearing it etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Shame your English wasn't better then.

Either use 4" pipe, or 3" flexible. If the run is less than a metre, you could get away with down pipe.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

He said: "The garage is having a makeover, including getting guttering. What pipe do I use for the underground run to the outlet for the septic tank?"

Not too difficult to understand.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks Chris !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Totally ambiguous. He meant to say: What pipe do I use ... to the outlet OF the septic tank

Whereas what he said implies: What pipe do I use ... to the outlet for the septic tank INPUT

Hence all the confusion.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth