Cost of septic tank and drain field??

Hi, roughly speaking, what is the cost of having a septic tank and drain field installed. Location is Knoxville, TN, soil is generally clay.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Not sure about the US , but here In Ontario ours cost about $5000 (and that was 7 years ago.) It's a big job.

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Reply to
Tony

In central New Jersey I paid over $30K for a 5 bedroom system just over a year ago. Depending on the engineering regulations in your area, clay usually means digging it all out and replacing it with "select fill."

At the same time I paid just under $30K to replace a failed system on the house I was selling in the same town. That house was a 3-bedroom system. It was a mound system.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Tony

Can't really speak for Tennennsee, but if it is a clay type soil I would guess that you will need some type of a "sand fill" system. In rural SE Iowa they usually cost approximately $7,000 but I suspect they would be somewhat higher there as things are normally cheaper hear in the country.

Don

Reply to
Donald Gares

Roughly speaking, it depends. A 2500 gallon tank will cost more than a 500 gallon tank. A 200 square foot leach field will cost less than a 2000 square foot leach field. Depends on access. Depends on soil. Depends on vegetation in the immediate area.

But that is only roughly speaking.

If you were to give some of the facts, perhaps we can provide some more accurate estimates.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I just built a new home 3 mo. ago out in rural Iowa. It is mostly clay. I had a complete setup done for $3500. Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Does anyone else get this?

Has anyone really done this, or just paid the price and never investigated the details?

Q. How much does a septic tank and drain field cost?

A. It depends on the size.

Quoting that you paid $XXXX for YOUR job means NOTHING!

How many gallons is the tank? How big is the leachfield?

One guy gets a really good price on a HUGE tank and leachfield for a HUGE house. Another gets a much lower price for a TINY tank and leachfield for a TINY price. How do you figure who got the better deal? If you look only at the total price, you cannot determine anything.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve,

You make valid points, here. It seems to me that the best answer is for Tony to get 3 or 4 estimates. Since he lives in Knoxville it really doesn't matter what a septic field dug in a different locale, for a different sized house, in different soil, and complying to a different health code will cost. this is an "apples to oranges" comparison. The cost of his septic system will be one of the cheaper estimates that he gets on his home.The idea that he is "investigating" the cost by posting here is misguided.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Yeah, it still hurts just saying it. I bought over 1000 tons of sand in about 2 weeks' time for the two systems.

Reply to
Brad

just

your

with

system

Yes $10.000 for sand on a lot that is nothing but sand just not state certified sand for a mound system $30K

Reply to
Spud

Just under a year ago, I had a 1000 gal tank w/240ft of leach field installed in n-e Alabama (close to the GA/TN state lines) for $1500.

I would immagine that the soil conditions we have are similar.

I should also mention that the average estimate I recieved was 1000 more when I was pricing it out on the phone.

I lucked out, and found someone that was working in the area, and gave me a break on the costs since he didn't have to go out of his way to bring in the equipment.

Reply to
ron