downstairs shower for elderly

Don't be stupid, you expect the rest of the tax payers to subsidse rich people now.

Anyway he did get money towards it as there is no VAT payable.

Reply to
dennis

But they just bump up their ex-vat price by the same amount, so your VAT 'saving' is their increased profit.

Reply to
Andrew

Visit your local Travis Perkins BM. They will have copies of Professional Buildr and Professional Plumber monthly free magazines which regularly feature wet-room installations.

Andrew

Divorce her, leave her with nothing, let her claim the grant and then remarry her. The money saved will pay for the honeymoon:-)

Reply to
ARW

If it were just 20%, it'd be understandable.

But quite a lot of "aids and adaptations" seem to have double or treble mark ups.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Second-hand stairlifts are cheap because there are lots around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

People like BES sell some:

After a few incidents in the family which ended up in hospital, we had a good chat with the hospital-based social services team, and they gave lots of excellent advice. They also provided frames to go around the toilets to give you arm rests for when you sit and stand back up. When visiting the hospital, I took the opportunity to look at detail at the disabled toilets and fittings. The disabled toilets at my current client has a toilet which looks somewhat like a sit-down bath which I've never seen before. I think it's basically a bath you can take a shit in and then hose out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Amazingly, grab rails like this are the one bit of kit for the disabled which doesn't get a silly mark-up. I fitted a couple to my horse van to make it easier to clamber in the back.

Excellent advice, been there done that!

Reply to
newshound

on 21/04/2018, Andrew Gabriel supposed :

They are also robustly built and get little usage before they are pulled out. There are companies who buy and 'refurbish', but they pay not much more than their scrap value for them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm less interested in what such companies pay for their stock than I am in what they charge.

Stairlifts - unless you are paying $$$$$ require that a person in a wheelchair transfer to use them (and there's a corresponding free wheelchair at the other end of the destination).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Because they're sold for what they are - tubes with screw holes. Which is why you pay VAT on them.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk submitted this idea :

They are mostly helpful for those with some mobility, but who might struggle with stairs.

Rather than sourcing from a 'refurb' company, take look on ebay from private sellers. There are always plenty on there, people find they no longer need them or move into a house with one fitted and remove it - they fetch very little money, compared to original cost.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We were contemplating a move, a few years ago, and briefly considered a new-build house + stairlift as a solution.

Then we actually saw some new builds and changed our mind. Christ they're shit. Really shit. Although my USian brother who came with us (very much for amusement) did like the unheated outdoor storage units. We let the sales person explain to him they're "garages".

We'll keep our bungalow, thanks. 1,500 sq. foot for us, as opposed to

1,100 or less sq. ft. in a house.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

+1
Reply to
Martin

My stair lift is bolted to the steps. It replaced the old hand rail.

Reply to
Martin

Even with bends the installation is easy and quick.

Reply to
Martin

I think the main choice is between Dutch OTOLIFT and German THYSSEN KRUPP I recommend the Dutch make had mine for more than 5 years without any problems. I'm no light weight.

Reply to
Martin

Not all stair lift users use wheel chairs. I don't.

Reply to
Martin

Probably have to pay for new tubes, battery charging system etc. A new battery for an Otolift costs £70. A complete Otolift system with one bend costs up to £4,000.

Reply to
Martin

There's no VAT payable on a stair lift irrespective of the supplier.

Reply to
Martin